7.62x39 on coyotes???

That caliber will work just fine on coyotes.
When I switched from chasing, to calling, coyotes back in the '90s, I used a SKS, which is that caliber.

The things I would suggest you remember...the ballistics are similar to a 30/30 (IMO), so if you're sighted in for 100 yds, then your bullet will fall off quite a bit beyond 150 yds.
And, use soft points, or hollow points...not FMJ bullets.
The FMJ, are NOT a hunting bullet, will leave you with mostly coyotes hit, but running away...and will pass thru the coyote & richochet off even bare dirt.

Have not had it very long so It is getting interesting finding ammo.. I have 123 grain soft point and 124 hallow point. What is your feelings on steel cases??

Originally Posted By: tylo scootWhat is your feelings on steel cases??

My feeling is that you should shoot better quality ammo. Steel case surplus junk is great for guys that want to spend an hour loading 30rnd mags then go blow it in under a minute, but in general it's crap.

The JHP (jacketed hollow point) is going to do quite a bit of damage to coyotes. Not bad, but I'd prefer the soft point personally.

If you use a brass catcher and get better quality ammo with brass cases, there's a decent market for once fired x39 brass.

I used an SKS for a long time as a "do-all" rifle here in KS, rabbits, coyotes, and deer. Now I have a Ruger Mini-30 that's doing well. If your rifle shoots well with Rem corelokts, they're actually a pretty good performer. There's a Hornady V-max/Z-max that has been accurate for me, but they're a little messy on close range coyotes.

run what you have.. if you don't like the way it works out.. Get something else.
The FMJ's may be illegal to use for hunting. Also you will have to get good at tracking.

I picked up some 7.62x39 steel case Hornady SST. Seems like it would be okay for deer, and was hoping to try it on a dog soon. Gun will be a bullpup sks.

That caliber and rifle will be great on coyotes out to 125-150 yards with a decent scope that is properly zeroed. The steel-cased stuff will work fine, but obviously better ammo is,...well,...better !

I have killed several deer with Russian steel case HP's from an SKS. I would recommend trying both SP and HP and see which works better. Where you put the round is more important than the type of round.

Sgt, what have you tried, and which has worked best for you? I picked up some of the 154 SP, but reading on how it works has been mixed.

Back