Another "what scope" Question

dpollard

I am looking for a new (or new to me) scope to put on a 22lr rifle that I am using for 200 yard NRA Silhouette matches (shot distances are 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards).

I was going to use a BSA 6-24x44 I took off another rifle but it does not have enough adjustment to even get to 150 yards.

The scope will need to either have enough internal adjustment to shoot from 50-200 yards with a 22lr round going approx 1070fps or a fine crosshair and Mil-dot or some other subtension system where I can dial to a certain point in combination with using a subtension mark.

Since I'll be putting so much wear on the turrets a manufacturer with a no questions asked warranty would be a huge plus. I'm open to power ranges anywhere from 4-14 to 6-24 or even higher.

Someone suggested a Mueller 8-32x44 with side focus but it's a bit more than I want to spend but may be worth it? Mueller

I would like to keep the price sub $200.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Since you are pushing the distance at 200 yards for most stock .22lr shooting, you might consider getting a set of Burris Signature rings with the +10 MoA or +20 MoA inserts that will allow you more elevation with the reticle in the scope that you have...It will be less expensive than a new scope and allow you to start with the elevation lower at the shorter ranges and dial up as needed...

Short if that, you might look for a used Sightron 4-16x mil dot in the SII series...Sightron has a 'no bull' lifetime warranty on all their scopes...I have an older one on a .204 AR that allows me some long distance shooting without touching the turrets if I go to a PD town where the targets are at a variety of distances...It does have a substantial amount of elevation adjustment if needed...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeSub 200 really puts a damper on choices.

I understand, that's why I'm willing to buy used in case I can get a $300-400 for around $200.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleSince you are pushing the distance at 200 yards for most stock .22lr shooting, you might consider getting a set of Burris Signature rings with the +10 MoA or +20 MoA inserts that will allow you more elevation with the reticle in the scope that you have...

Thank! This looks like it could be the exact solution I'm looking for but now you took away my excuse to buy a scope
smile.gif

vortex has a no excuses lifetime warranty, you can get a 4-12x40 for $170-200 with a BDC reticle and zero reset turrets, that would be more than plenty of power for shooting 200 yrds...there ya go!

Like Old Turtle stated, the Burris rings with inserts are the way to roll. I use them on my 22LR.

Bushnell Tactical Elite 3200. Straight 10X if you resume your scope search...

Travis

Thank you all for the input. I just cannot decide. I actually have 2 other Vortex Scopes (Diamondback 4-12x40 and the Viper 4-16x44 HSLR).

I found THIS SCOPE last night on Cabela's website. 8-32x50 with side focus regular $469 on sale for $189. I ordered it but am still not "sold" on it. Not knowing manufacturer but it seemed like a good deal and Cabelas said they'd warranty it if anything went wrong. I had a chance to look through it as well and the glass seemed fine (not that I know the difference).

Do you think I made a good choice in terms of quality? I am still considering another Vortex or even the Mueller. The Cabela's scope has 48 MOA of internal adjustment, which I think is more than the scope I have and perhaps more than the Vortex Diamondback but haven't confirmed.

Originally Posted By: dpollardThank you all for the input. I just cannot decide. I actually have 2 other Vortex Scopes (Diamondback 4-12x40 and the Viper 4-16x44 HSLR).

I found THIS SCOPE last night on Cabela's website. 8-32x50 with side focus regular $469 on sale for $189. I ordered it but am still not "sold" on it. Not knowing manufacturer but it seemed like a good deal and Cabelas said they'd warranty it if anything went wrong. I had a chance to look through it as well and the glass seemed fine (not that I know the difference).

Do you think I made a good choice in terms of quality? I am still considering another Vortex or even the Mueller. The Cabela's scope has 48 MOA of internal adjustment, which I think is more than the scope I have and perhaps more than the Vortex Diamondback but haven't confirmed.

That scope is tempting to buy just because of price, I'm not even in need of a scope. I wonder why just the 8-32's are on sale? hmm... reviews are all good.

I have no experience with that scope. I do have a couple of Cabela's branded scopes and can state their customer service is first class if you have a problem with it. One of mine went bad. Long story short. A phone call and it was replaced along with a $10 gift certificate to help with shipping the bad one to them.

Back