ordered my first cooper...need help with scope options.

I ordered a Cooper Montana Varminter .204R a year ago. It arrived at my gun dealer today. I went there to pay the balance and do the paperwork. I have never held a cooper before. I had only seen pictures. The rifle looks super awesome. fit finish and really nice walnut. Don't limit yourself to 10x, as you will be driving a hot rod. You might want to see what they are eating before you ruin their day.

Congrats on the new gun, JRat! My Cooper .204 is near and dear to my heart.
tt1.gif
Photos, we need photos!

Congrats on your purchase. These up-coming months are going to feel like years!

Where ya located in PA if you don't mind me asking? Always cool to see how close other members are. I'm about 20 minutes east of Pittsburgh.

I hope it doesn't take a yr for my rifle to get here, but that's probably how long it'll be. I was told 9-14 months. Hate waiting...but good things come to those who wait
smile.gif
. A 10 day wait huh? Wow.Here in PA it in an out same day lol.

Yeah I wanna see pics as well! And I am from south central PA...near the boarder of Maryland. Order my rifle from a top cooper dealer (hendershots).

Yeah I thought the 10x was a bit weak...I definitely want a nightforce for my hot rod lol. I was looking at the NXS 3.5-15x50...is that too much scope for my VT? Or do I need more. If someone can look on the nightforce website n point me to the perfect one.

If you are open to other scopes than NXC. I would check Leupold Custom Shop. You can build the scope to your specs. and they mail it to your home.
I ordered the VX-3 6.5x20-40 LR. with the varmint hunter ret. and M1 elevation. side focus. for less than $1,000.00.
The 40 mm keeps the scope close to the barrel for better cheek weld.( just my opinion )
I own four leupold scopes and am very happy with them all. The new scope for the cooper .204R is the clearest scope I have looked thru.

Last edited:
[

Picked up the rifle yesterday.Going shooting this week end.

Breaking in the barrel last weekend. shoot five,clean,shoot five.clean. for the first twenty rounds. per Cooper manual. Target pic is shots 11-15 @ 100 yards. first shot on clean bore is high next four in the same ragged hole.
I was only able to shoot thirty rounds due to summer rain down pour.( we were in high desert on the Mexico border )
I'm just getting to know this rifle. I'm thinking the squirrels are in big trouble.

Last edited:
Now THAT is one sexy rig!! Sucks I still gotta wait for mine
frown.gif
lol. I think I've finally made up my mind ...after all the browsing n research I did on scopes I think I'm gonna go with a good ole leupold. Cause I'd say on this forum n many others I see a ton of ppl using them for their varmint rigs. I have 2 in mind the VX-3 6.5x20...or the new VX-6 4x24. VX3 is round 1000 or under depending if u get custom stuff done...n the new VX6 is 1800. idk which route to go
smirk.gif
. And idk if I want a illuminated article or not (can the custom shop do that for vx3?). And idk if I want a 40mm or 50. Any more help? Lol

Have 6 nf and I love them. Try one with the 50mm lens. I have two of the 5.5x22x50mm and they seem a little smaller than the 56mm, but still gather the light well.

Originally Posted By: SuPaScOpENow THAT is one sexy rig!! Sucks I still gotta wait for mine
frown.gif
lol. I think I've finally made up my mind ...after all the browsing n research I did on scopes I think I'm gonna go with a good ole leupold. Cause I'd say on this forum n many others I see a ton of ppl using them for their varmint rigs. I have 2 in mind the VX-3 6.5x20...or the new VX-6 4x24. VX3 is round 1000 or under depending if u get custom stuff done...n the new VX6 is 1800. idk which route to go
smirk.gif
. And idk if I want a illuminated article or not (can the custom shop do that for vx3?). And idk if I want a 40mm or 50. Any more help? Lol

Bobtails has a NF 3.5x15x50 for sale in the classifieds that is attractive.

Originally Posted By: JRat I ordered a Cooper MTV in .204R in July 2012.Cooper finished and shipped the rifle last week. it should be at the dealer any day.
I bought a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40 LR from Leupold custom shop.I had them install an M1 knob on the elevation and the varmint hunter reticle.
I have three other Leupold scopes and this one is by far the clearest and brightest of the four.
I chose the Talley light weight scope mounts (low) part #730749.
It has been a long year waiting for this rifle. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

J-Rat

What he said/did, right down to the rings.

I've often contemplated a cooper, but just don't like the look of their actions. Perhaps if they were CRF. Not that they are any better than PF, to me they look nicer.

Back