17 stands 22 coyotes(a few videos) great weekend!!

jglynn

Me, my wife April(AGlynn), Caleb(Cawlison82) and his wife Ashley met our good friend and fellow KoolAid member Richard Coit at his place this last weekend for a few days of coyote calling with intentions of trying to get some good dog work on video. April and I took Nuts and Caleb and Ashley brought their new dog Chip and drove 11 hours all the way from TN.

We were in western Oklahoma Friday evening ready to get after it.

We drove around and actually made a few stands Friday evening with not much luck in the 100 degree heat until right at dark when we were calling it a day and as we were packing up I seen a coyote bouncing through the tall grass. We got the dogs looking but they never saw it before it disappeared. We did, however, get rid of a pesky porcupine on the way out before it inflicted pain on the dogs.

Saturday morning was a different story!! We woke up and were sitting at Richards at daylight with a game plan and high hopes of a good morning!! It was supposed to get to 108 degrees by 11 or 12 so we had to get it done quick.

1st stand we called in a single and the dogs see him and it is off to the races! They go out of sight about ¼ mile away and are gone for several minutes and we can hear a good ruckus going on probably ½ mile away. I finally see Nuts on his way back and Chip is still nowhere in sight. Finally, he comes back and 1 coyote has turned into 4!!!! These coyotes are pizzed and very vocal and really wanting to see these dogs dead!

They work for a bit and at 1 point Chip whips all 4 coyotes at the same time.haha. We decide to start picking them off in order of least aggressive to most. Richard downs one and they split. Chips and Nuts get after a fleeing one and run on to the dead one and work it over. 2 come in for the save and Chip whips 1 of them! At one point a coyote actually wools the dead coyote! They work them for a bit and it is Ashley’s turn. She pounds the 2nd one and Chip wools him and Nuts takes off after the fleeing one. Nuts comes back to join the wooling party and low and behold the other comes back and T-bones chip. Mistake!!! They both get after him and bring him in again. Now it is April’s turn. The coyote is to our hard left and she is left handed so she is in a real bind trying to get a shot on the opposite side of her body and ends up missing it. The dogs get it back one more time for a bit but it skirts out leaving Richard one last hail mary which didn’t hit it’s mark.

The next stand we call in a deer and Chip sees movement and off he goes. As he is heading out a coyote pops out in front of Nuts and he turns to bring him to us. As the coyote is coming Chip sees him and gets him in his sights! He gets after him and off to the thicket all 3 of them go. After a while Chip comes back and then a few minutes later Nuts comes back. Here comes the coyote!! It is time for April to redeem herself. They get it to about 100 yards and it is losing interest in the dogs. April flattens it!!! It is now 95 degrees and 8:30 a.m. We head to the motel.

That evening we get another single male to come in and instantly tries to eat Nuts. Chip is out ranging a little and don’t realize what is happening 20 yards in front of us. Nuts comes back and the coyote is close, but what he doesn’t know is Chip has now saw him and is coming in from 300 yards with the after burners on!! The roles have now switched from the coyote trying to get his partner in crime to now Chip is going to dish out a little of his own. He gets after the coyote hard for several minutes and Nuts joins in 2 or 3 times and gets the coyote to about 10 feet. I was going to catch it if I could. We decide the dogs are getting hot in the 100 degree heat so we 3,2,1 and Richard and Aslhey double tap him at 40 yards. Time to head to some A/C and get some sleep.

Sunday we had some bad luck. The coyotes totally turn off the aggression. We call in 8 coyotes by 10 a.m. and none of them wanted to work the dogs. The dogs tried their butt’s off but just couldn’t get one to play back. AT one point the dogs start working their way out to about 900 yards and find a coyote. It looks like it is going to come back but eventually wimps out and leaves. We call it a day at around 11:00 a.m. get packed up and head to my house in SE Oklahoma.

Monday morning we wake up before daylight and head to some of my honey holes. 1st stand we call in a single that flees from the dogs. 2nd stand we call in another pizzed off single and they work it pretty good. We got greedy for footage and the coyote gets behind us and Chip and Nuts get ahold of it and stretches it out pretty bad. He is now sitting out of sight challenge barking but not going to dare come back in and take another whipping. We turn on the call to keep his attention and we start the moheekan sneak to follow the sounds of his barking. We find him about 400 yards away and sitting in a field. Caleb gets on a tree for a rest and drops him!!! Awesome shot!

Next stand call a double that flees from the dogs! Darn!

Next stand we set up and call in a double that ultimately gets downwind before the dogs can see them. They are about 300 yards and just poking their heads out of the tall weeds. Mistake!! Ashley is a great shot and the Rock River sends one to the chest of a nice coyote.

It is now 10:30 a.m. and it is time to get Caleb and Ashley back to our house so they can get ready to go home. Kind of bitter sweet but I know they got babies at home that miss them.

All in all, we make 17 stands and call in 22 coyotes! We shoot 6 and if for not wanting to get dog work on camera, could have killed 10 more at least. There are a lot of stands I didn’t mention due to not a lot of excitement. Just a lot of coyotes coming to the stands and not working the dogs.

Caleb was running the call, I was running the camera and April, Ashley, and Richard were manning the rifles. 5 people on every stand and 2 dogs. We broke every rule for what is the norm to kill a coyote. But then again, that is how we roll at KoolAid.lol.

I would like to nominate Cawlison82 for HOM. With him running the foxpro, we had 3 or 4 dry stands all weekend!!! His new dog, Chip, is a beast of a coyote dog. My poor dog had heck hanging with him, but did his best.lol. The more they worked together, the better they got along.

I would also like to give huge thanks to Richard for the invite!! He was a gracious and very knowledgeable hunter and guide for us!!!
And to the ladies, you girls can hunt with the best of them!! Great shots and great instincts. And stone cold killers!

I am proud to be in this group of hunters. Too bad all of KoolAid couldn’t have made it out, but we will get a weekend put together soon.

Sorry for the long post but I tried to put it all on one so I don’t have alot of different posts.

Here are some videos from of a few of the stands where the coyotes worked the dogs. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
btech29 edited the videos. he had alot of work to do to get them ready. i am not the best camera guy around and I tend to say things people shouldn't say while it is running. Kuddos to him for the help!!

That was a fun weekend. Ashley and I got to meet some awesome people see some great country and had a heck of a hunt.
Its always great to meet friends face to face that you've known only through the internet phone calls and text messages.
The wind and heat sure made for some tough hunting and some hot dogs. But we had some great laughs and made alot of unforgetful memories mostly on stands. I'm glad we got some coyotes to work the dogs and our dogs worked well together.
I wanna give a big thanks to Richard, John, and April for their hospitality and new friendships. Yall knew where to put us on some coyotes and had some awesome land to hunt. And a big thanks to Jeff Writer for editing our mess for us.
One more side note it was 17 stands i think and 22 coyotes called in i think John got those numbers crossed up.

Thanks again guys we can't wait to come back.

Caleb

Heck of a weekend my butt. That would be a good year for me. WOW, you did great! Congrats to all involved.

Seriously, you kicked some coyote buttski.

Shayne

Good weekend. I love all aspects of coyote hunting but I don't think I could ever film. I could NOT pass on killing a coyote for the sake of the film. Killing the coyote will always be my first concern so I am sure you won't see me on You Tube or Outdoor TV anytime soon. With that said---I do appreciate the great work these guys do and enjoy watching and learning as much as anyone. Been whacking coyotes 30 years now and looking forward to the next 30 (I hope). Most of what I learned early on came from the film and magazine industry so I will always watch and learn.

YoteYoda USMC
Twinkie Pro Staff

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Yote Yoda we enjoy killin them to but the dogs working are our main concern the filming is just abonus. Most of the time the longer we let the dogs work the more coyotes we get to come in.

i messed up. i put 22 stands and 16 coyotes. it was the other way around. 17 stands 22 coyotes. i fixed it [beeep]. it was late last nite when i posted. i was pretty tired.lol

Last edited:
i like killing coyotes too but to make a good dog, you gotta let some walk. those coyotes that got a free pass never knew we were there. all they know is they heard a sound and showed up and some dogs chased them off. you can call those coyotes back in and kill them in a week. they will meet their maker before long.

Originally Posted By: jglynni messed up. i put 22 stands and 16 coyotes. it was the other way around. 17 stands 22 coyotes. i fixed it [beeep]. it was late last nite when i posted. i was pretty tired.lol

Now that is an average guys dream of!!! great work, nice vids... keep it UP!

Originally Posted By: cawilson82Thanks guys

Yote Yoda we enjoy killin them to but the dogs working are our main concern the filming is just abonus. Most of the time the longer we let the dogs work the more coyotes we get to come in.

Thanks----and your dogs are great!!

Awesome stuff I could not keep my finger of the trigger if I did that.I noticed with dogs you can shoot a coyote and they others will still stick around and come in .A person could basically take out the whole group.Those coyotes are sure quick how much damage does the rear hind quarters of your dog get's bitten up?

believe it or not, the dogs made it all weekend without an injury. maybe a scratch or 2 but no broken skin.

thanks guys for the compliments.

Back