Savage 17 BMag Range Report

from-a-grand

Got my gun out last week, topped it with a Redfield Revenge 3-9x40 with Weaver Quad Lock Rings, gun store sold me 2 boxes of 20 gr V-Max ammo.

I brought it out after cleaning off all the packing grease, bore sighting, etc... etc....

First impression was that the bolt was a bit stiff to close compared to what I was expecting. I LOVE the mag though, very crisp loading, no play and positive "clink" as each round seats. The trigger had the slightest creep to it, so I disassembled and wired brushed the entire assembly, which made it disappear. I then set the trigger at 3 lbs and seated the mag.

I chambered the first round and put the gun on sand bags. With the first shot at 50 yds I was 2" low and 4" left. I ejected the round, removed the scope caps and adjusted the scope accordingly. I must say, I was impressed with the Revenge line scope... the clicks were DEAD NUTS ON, and my next shot was low right in the 1/2" bull. I cycled the bolt and the spent cartridge stuck in the chamber. I dug it out with my leatherman and shot the next round. It was high right in the 1/2" bull. I cycled the bolt and again the cartridge hung up. I moved to the 150 yd target and shot, and again adjusted for the range. After removing the cartridge with my leatherman(Every time) I shot a true 5 shot group at 150 yards measuring .886 inches with my digital caliper. after the 5 shot group I cased the rifle and took it home to inspect the chamber/bolt to see what my malfunction was.

The extractor claw appeared to have broken the slightest bit off the tip... it was uneven and rough but I honestly figured with the claw in the shape it was it would still be slinging the spent cartridges. Apparently not. In any case my local shop took the bolt when I brought it in and said he would call when he had the part replaced.

Overall experience was good, as I was VERY impressed with the accuracy of the rifle, the function and fit was great, the scope combo was a good pick for my needs and I was very pleased with the Redfield Revenge scope!

~I have never dealt with Savage's customer service in many years of owning their rifles and I have confidence that they will resolve my issue as quickly as they can. I also believe this was an isolated incident as I have read nothing similar happeneing nor have I heard from the other ownwers of BMags that I know here in the area.

Last edited:
Not extracting the cases sucks. Sounds like you get that fixed and it'll be a fine shooter..

I spied 2 boxes of ammo on a store shelf yesterday. Bought em both. Now I need a rifle to shoot em.
smile.gif
Think I'm gonna wait for the Ruger or CZ.

Let us know if you get your ejection problem fixed.

I was very excited for the .17 WSM offering and I was convinced that I would buy the Savage when it came out.

I had one in my hands and I couldn't buy it. I was expecting a version of the Axis, but the B-Mag felt and looked so cheap and the "cosmetics", bolt, and trigger functions were so poor, I could not make myself buy the rifle. On both of the 2 rifles I held, the stock was warped such that at the tip of the forend, they rubbed against the barrel on just one side.

I'm with the poster who said he'd be waiting for a CZ or other brand. Or a higher grade Savage. Nothing against Savage, but the B-Mag is a No-Go for me. I'd rather pay 2x the price for an upgrade of everything.

Grouse

Fit and function great ? Sticking cases does not sound like great fuction to me.

I just talked to a dealer friend of mine today. He has one, said the bolt locks up hard and the extractor sucks. Said it's weak and won't pull all the rounds from the chamber.

He did say it shot well,but that's all the good he had.
thumbdown.gif
thumbdown.gif

Won't be long it will be history. Never gonna fly.

Glad I haven't bought one yet. I was waiting impatiently for them to come out. I will wait for other manufactures to come out with em I want a bull barrel.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFit and function great ? Sticking cases does not sound like great fuction to me.

I just talked to a dealer friend of mine today. He has one, said the bolt locks up hard and the extractor sucks. Said it's weak and won't pull all the rounds from the chamber.

He did say it shot well,but that's all the good he had.
thumbdown.gif
thumbdown.gif

Won't be long it will be history. Never gonna fly.

As far as fit and function I was referring to the fit of the rifle and functionality of what it was made to do... CLEARLY its physical function is in question for me.

Yup... was NIB at that time, I just decided to keep it. I can't say I am dissapointed entirely, it shoots great, as long as the ejection hiccup is taken care of I will be a happy camper!

Is anyone seeing these on the shelves yet? I'm excited about this caliber not sure about the gun but want to check one out. Need to use rimfire at night in MI seems like a no brainer.

If the gun doesn't run PERFECT out of the box it won't cost a dime to get running PERFECT... IF the company is worth its salt... ever heard a complaint about savage customer service? Me either... so yeah. I am confident and worry free as of yet.

Originally Posted By: up223Is anyone seeing these on the shelves yet? I'm excited about this caliber not sure about the gun but want to check one out. Need to use rimfire at night in MI seems like a no brainer.

They are on the shelves around my area. The LGS had two left after I got mine. No ammo though so I can't tell you how it shoots.

Well glad to here there starting to show up on shelves I'm going to have to call around here and see if anyone got one. No ammo though that must be frustrating I hope you don't have to wait to long for that.

Update;

My dealers Savage Rep pulled a rifle off the assembly line and had the extractor sent to me. It came a little over a week ago, I installed it last night and went out to shoot a few rounds. My groups maintained and I cycled through 15 shots without another issue.

Savage did fantastic by me in resolving the issue.

Originally Posted By: from-a-grandUpdate;

My dealers Savage Rep pulled a rifle off the assembly line and had the extractor sent to me. It came a little over a week ago, I installed it last night and went out to shoot a few rounds. My groups maintained and I cycled through 15 shots without another issue.

Savage did fantastic by me in resolving the issue.

You can't beat Savage's customer service. Have you had any chance to shoot the 25 grain pills yet?

Back