Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

I've got a 204 and know what king of damage they do. So - I'm going to say it most likely has a lot to do with the velocity of the bullet when it hits the hog, no matter what it hits. That's what makes the most sense to me.

Originally Posted By: DogboneI've got a 204 and know what king of damage they do. So - I'm going to say it most likely has a lot to do with the velocity of the bullet when it hits the hog, no matter what it hits. That's what makes the most sense to me.

Makes sense to me too.

Walked a couple of mowed pastures. Out of about 50 acres, I found 2 active holes with no chucks. I went back to the barnyard and parked the truck. Thought I kept seeing something in the sawmill, so I moved for a better look and it was nothing. I did a walkabout checking all the buildings and memorizing the holes in the barnyard. At the end of the yard, I walked to a nearby creek and spotted a chuck. I belly crawled about 25yds to an opening and ranged him, 128yds. I put the second stadia on his nose and squeezed off the HMR, and he balled up then ran. I got another shot at him and balled him up again then he dove down the hole. No points for that one. I went back to the yard walking out of the last barn on the way to the truck I spotted something under the mill. I glassed it and saw a chuck looking my way with a huge head. I put the Marlin 17HMR up in the sticks, and put one in the head. The shot went under the planer bed, under the saw conveyor, over a stack of lumber and into the head at 55yds. She was huge. After picking her up, I went to drive through the gate and spotted a pup sitting on the hole about 15yds away, the HMR made quick work of him. I decided to ride back where I missed the first and one popped up at the gate, a 40yd shot ended him too. On the way out I noticed a small skunk sleeping on a piece of metal in the open barnyard. I pulled alongside him and he didn't move. I turned the truck off and he picked his head up, yawned, and put his head down. I decided he needed to go and popped him too.

She was by the red post in background.
55ydd%20sawmill.jpg

07-20-2013%20big%20pig.jpg

07-20-2013%20barnyard%20trio.jpg

07-20-2013%20stinker.jpg

That one is a big one and that last one phew.
Went today after another torrential downpour I think they all drowned or are washed away, its been so wet they havent been able to finish cutting, the one cut field that their is we stopped at and the only thing we saw was a bald eagle eating the hog I shot yesterday which was cool to see.
Then went to another field I spotted one hog in the tall grass but couldn't find him in the scope, then spotted another about 100 yrds from the truck my brother took the shot with his 17hmr I saw it ball up then lost it in the grass, we walked down to where it was no hog no blood no nothing but while poking around I did find a ground hornets nest
cursing.gif
If it ever dries out and they get these fields cut we should have some good shooting

My daughter was excited all day about going hunting with me. I told her it depended on the weather. She kept watching the radar on the weather channel to see if the weather was going to cooperate. It didn't look good til about 4:30pm when the clouds started to break. We loaded up the Suburban and headed off to the farm.

As soon as we got there I spotted one feeding about 150 yards out.By the time I got set up,it was gone.Sat for a good hour and nothing.

Finally spotted one about 230 yards out. I showed my daughter where to look and finally she said "I see it!!". I told her to get her ears on and watch. Got on it and squeezed one off. Right over his back. Dang! anyways it took off for the weeds.

We kept glassing and after a while we spotted another one at 265 yards.I was determined not to let this one get away. Aimed just a tad low. Gun is zeroed at 300 yards. Touched one off and saw the piggy fold. I told my daughter I got it and she couldn't wait to go see it.

Here is my daughter Lakin with the dirt digger.

huntingpictures_zpsb1eba620.jpg

We did not see many but we had a great time together. This was her first hunt and I can honestly say she did excellent. Stayed still and kept glassing where I told her to.I think she is now hooked with this hobby.

Dave

Originally Posted By: DogboneWhy is that hog laying on top of those sausages?

Idk i dont remember them being there until after i shot lol.

My whopping first two hogs of the year.

I get up early and it's drizzling outside. I brought my beater 22-250 and my Cooper 17 Mach IV. Beater it is as i don't want my nice rifle getting rained on. There's a strong argument for having no nice rifles here. lol

Walking into the bean fields I spot this fellow sun bathing in the rain so I drop and load. Shot him through the neck at 234 yards. Things are looking up! :ugeek:

I snap a few pics and set up on the edge of a field. Within a half hour this little guy comes out from the woodline. About 130 yard shot, game over. Man I love this s#*t!

The curb appeal side.

Caught him in the act! The last supper.

The not so good side...

Eric

Went out today to the fields behind work looking to do some hog hunting.. I found some fresh holes and sat looking over them at 120 yards with my 17hmr.. I had a pup stick his head out and sat there looking around.. Just as he was about to come out these stupid birds, there called killdeer, start chirping and making all this noise because I'm around.. Sure enough the pup goes into his hole instantly.. I waited another 10 minutes and he wouldn't show his face but the birds wouldn't shut up . I figured I was busted so I lined up on one of those birds making a racket and let him have it. Here's the aftermath....

No chuck today.. Maybe they won't squawk at me tomorrow

Went out tonight after dinner to do some chuck hunting right behind the house, I've been leaving them alone lately but all the usual fields are to high to hunt.
Took the 17FB because a coyote has been hanging around and the 17M2 just ain't going to do it, anyway I went back to the irrigation pond where I saw a few new holes there and set up on the opposite side facing them, I wasn't there 5 min when a head pops out of one of the holes and then the hog crawled out and was standing on the top of his mound when I put a 30gr Berger through the center of his chest.
I hung around for awhile but got tired of feeding the skeeters and no more hogs popped up I'll hit it after work this week.

IMG_20130721_182911_490_zpse9aa9b99.jpg

shot him from the corner across the pond
IMG_20130721_183026_352_zps2c128fce.jpg

Originally Posted By: DogboneFun day Corey! Love those little 17s. What ammo you using?
My Marlin seems to prefer the CCI 20gr. Gamepoints. When they hit skull or shoulder blades, they perform great. It takes a little bone to make them expand, but they hammer them when they open up. I got too many splashes on the V-maxes and my gun shot slightly better groups with the Gamepoints. I use this setup for trapping and get pinhole entry with no exits at distances as close as a few yards.

Looks like the chucking is picking up for a few folks
smile.gif

Yeah, my Marlin loves the 20gr CCI Gamepoints too. The 17 gr V-Max bullets work, but you have to be real accurate and they have to be head shots for sure. Not so with the Gamepoints. You can be close and still get the kill.

Went back out today and got the hog that got away from me yesterday.. Only an 80 yard shot but a kill is a kill.. Got her right through the neck with the 17hmr.

A friend and I went out hunting together tonight. We decided to do some long range shooting mostly in the 500-700 yard range although a couple presented themselves at 350ish and were dispatched accordingly. For the most part our longer shots were "close but no cigar". I got one at 648 yards with a second shot and had three other near misses at 525, 640 and 700 yards. This was my friends first night out for the year and he was struggling to get the 22-250 to connect with any chucks and came out empty handed for the night. All 'n all, even with the misses, we had fun.

The .243AI with the two 350 yard kills. (the scope caps are on because of a lite rain.)

Back