Just wondering if you have a favorite rock load?

ackleyman

I loved shooting at rocks in the Dessert, mine was with a 7 rem mag with 175g Sierra spt bt which hammered a billion year old rock real good.

what is your load?

The place I hunt we are on a trophy management program and rocks have to be at least 5 billion years old before we can take them out.

OH but my load is 28.4 gr of XTerminator with a 55gr Nolser in the 6X45 for rocks under 400 yds past that the 6.5 CM with 140gr Barnes Matchburners loaded with IMR4007SSC.

Had a pet rock that had to be put down a few years ago. I was concerned for the kids in the house as the rock was getting old and quite abrasive. The good ol 44 mag knocked it down to size.

Not sure what the load was but had a buddy shoot a rock that was in the top 10 Boone & Crocket in the state of Idaho with a .338 RUM flinging 285 grains of pure rock crushing hatred and witnessed a boulder the size of a VW bug split in two like it was Moses himself parting the Red Sea. It was pretty amazing!!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210Not sure what the load was but had a buddy shoot a rock that was in the top 10 Boone & Crocket in the state of Idaho with a .338 RUM flinging 285 grains of pure rock crushing hatred and witnessed a boulder the size of a VW bug split in two like it was Moses himself parting the Red Sea. It was pretty amazing!!!!

I hope it's at the taxidermist.

We have a smacking rock about the size of a bushel basket at 502yds at a buddies place. I just shoot my 87gr. V-maxes out of the 243 on it as that is all I have setup to get that far reliably. My AR in 223 with the 50's is almost un-detectable when I beat the wind and hit it. For good smacks, we use his 260 with 140VLD's, now those have a nice pop to them
smile.gif

Ever hit a cow pile with something like a 220 swift with a 40 gr b-tip screaming along at 4000 fps ? That's how its done in East Texas!

Why do you shoot the poor things? I use live traps baited with geodes and have real good luck. The one's I catch I safely release in my driveway.
smile.gif

Back