Anyone familure with a Remington 78 Sportsman

old_sparky

I wondered if any of you have or have had a remington 78 Sportsman. I had one in 223 back around 84ish. I remember it shot everything I put in it great. Most accurate bolt gun I have had. Was that common?

thanks, Sparky

Loaded for one and shot it a few times. It was originally a long action (8mm maybe?) and re-barreled with a Douglas XX and chambered in 22 cheetah and run as a single shot. The owner bought it solely as a donor. It was a good shooter, but far from stock when I first saw it. One of the few I've seen first hand.

Yeah my .223 Sportsman 78 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I don't know if it is because of the particular model or not. It is just a no frills 700- just figured I got lucky with that particular rifle. It is interesting that you had a similar experience.

Thats nice to hear. I had mine a couple years but back then I had to trade to play with another firearm. Thats one I wish I had kept. The stock reminded me of a 2x4 with dark walnut stain but I sure could shoot that thing. I have always looked for another just never saw one at the right time.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnYeah my .223 Sportsman 78 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I don't know if it is because of the particular model or not. It is just a no frills 700- just figured I got lucky with that particular rifle. It is interesting that you had a similar experience.

I have one in .223 that was probably the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. Since rebarreled and restocked; it was a great value and I wish Remington still offered them.

I read a article in a magazine one time where a guy found one dirt cheap at a gunshow, took it home fixed it up a little and ended up with a dang fine rifle.

I bought one in .223 in the early 90's. It shot ok, but not great. Factory barrel was pretty rough and cleaning it was [beeep]. It has been rebarreled and restocked twice since then and is my favorite coyote gun. But now it's wearing a 24" PacNor chambered for .223AI.

Originally Posted By: VarmintnvI bought one in .223 in the early 90's. It shot ok, but not great. Factory barrel was pretty rough and cleaning it was [beeep]. It has been rebarreled and restocked twice since then and is my favorite coyote gun. But now it's wearing a 24" PacNor chambered for .223AI.

Yeah, come to think on it that barrel did collect copper pretty badly. It was incredibly accurate though, especially for a factory sporter-weight barrel.

Back