Molly or Non-Coated Bullets???

gene10pntr

Wat bullet is better to shoot? Ive read where the molly can cause fowling faster and harder to clean the barrel. To me molly would be the way to go? Comments and opinions...pro and con??? Thanks!!!

Quote:To me molly would be the way to go?

Been there, done that. Molly was supposed to increase velocity; it actually reduces velocity (checked over chronograph), but the good news is that you can add more powder to get the velocity back up to where it was w/naked bullets.

Molly was supposed to extend barrel life by reducing friction; it doesn't do so to the extent that I was able to measure, could still squeeze about 7000 rounds from a target rifle barrel with or without molly. Molly can't block the gas erosion in the throat of the barrel which is what kills accuracy.

The one redeeming benefit of molly is that it does reduce copper fouling, as claimed. I found it a bit easier to clean the rifle after a match w/molly. I thoroughly cleaned the barrels after every match (usually 58-108 rounds) and was fortunate that my (30-06) target barrels shot POA after cleaning and did not require fouling shots. I was not so fortunate in regard to my 30-06 hunting rifle (and several others) which did not settle down until 6-8 molly rounds were put down the bore after a cleaning.

I quit using moly bullets a dozen years ago. No real benefit and added hassle to moly coat my bullets.

Regards,
hm

Been using moly in 2 varmint rigs since the 80s. Its not any harder to clean, reduces cooper fouling, & yes it does extend bbl life from my own experiances.
Its a bit messy when you 1st do it and you need dedicated tumblers for moly to keep it separated from your naked stuff. I only use it in my 2-223s no other gun since I run 6-7k rounds in them a year.
Its worked for me.

I use the pill bottle method or baggies to apply DANZAC. I have also shot the MOLY but switched as the DANZAC has a higher affinity to copper compared to MOLY and doesn't need the way to keep it off your fingers..

I shoot the coatings on my 20's and will soon do so on my new 17. Less cleaning with less coper as far as I can tell. Can't speak to barrel life as I have 3 204's I rotate and the 20 Tactical I have has only about 3,000 rounds through it and the new 20 Practical has only 200 rounds down the tube.

Greg

So...how do you know if the bullets are naked or coated??? The reason I ask is some places say molly or non-coated others don't. I would think when you buy bullets it should say whether it is or isn't??? Correct or not????

Thanks!
Gene

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrSo...how do you know if the bullets are naked or coated??? The reason I ask is some places say molly or non-coated others don't. I would think when you buy bullets it should say whether it is or isn't??? Correct or not????

Thanks!
Gene

Unless they specify that the bullets are moly coated, they are not. The manufacturers charge you extra for the moly application.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrSo...how do you know if the bullets are naked or coated??? The reason I ask is some places say molly or non-coated others don't. I would think when you buy bullets it should say whether it is or isn't??? Correct or not????

Thanks!
Gene I use moly for some of my guns but not all. Dunno if it has any value but cleaning seems easier.

Originally Posted By: Rbreb13Originally Posted By: gene10pntrSo...how do you know if the bullets are naked or coated??? The reason I ask is some places say molly or non-coated others don't. I would think when you buy bullets it should say whether it is or isn't??? Correct or not????

Thanks!
Gene I use moly for some of my guns but not all. Dunno if it has any value but cleaning seems easier.

Moly does reduce copper fouling IME, thus makes cleaning easier. That is the only benefit I found in its use.

During the last 6-8 years I shot NRA HP competition, I shot out a target barrel, on average, every 14-16 months and exclusively used moly coated bullets probably the last three years. I used the same caliber (30-06) and same barrels (Chandlin SS) the entire time and they all started to throw unexplained fliers @ 600 yds and beyond around the 7000 round mark.

While this is admittedly a statistically small sample, I'm satisfied that there is little or no benefit as to extended barrel life derived from the use of moly.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrSo...how do you know if the bullets are naked or coated???
Naked is an uncoated bullet & term most use for any said type uncoated bullet. If its moly from the mfg it will say moly coated on the box.

Back