6mm Rem deer loads? maybe nosler...

brusso89

Hey all, I know that this is a predator forum but i thought i would ask anyways. Im looking to start working up some deer loads for my Rugger M77 mark II in 6mm rem. The plan was to go with 100 grain nosler partition with reloader 19. But both those powder and bullets are a little on the pricey side compared to everything else. Is there a big diffence between the nosler partition and accubonds? Or is there a big difference in sierra gamekings vs the partitions? Any input, suggestions or different combinations are greatly appreciated!

The 100 gr. NP's can't be beaten for deer. Have never used accubonds in 6mm but have had excellent results with them in 338 Win Mag and 375 h&h. They seem to make a bigger hole on inside of ribcage on entrance side than do the partitions of equal weight/caliber on the larger ones and that would not be all bad on whitetails. Never retrieved one in the larger calibers on larger game.

While I have never used the sierras on deer, have been shooting a lot of hogs with their 55 gr. SP (2nds) and they do very well on headshots from the side so feel they would be good on WT as well.

Don't think they are still available, but I picked up a bunch of Nosler 100 gr. solid base SP before the ammo crisis and they are as good for whitetail as the partitions in the 243 WSSM IMO. If you could find that bullet, they are cheaper and work well.

Regards,
hm

With all the 100 grain bullets IMR-4350 will be hard to beat. I bought bulk Remington Core-Lokt years ago, not the most accurate bullet, but they sure work, they were cheap. Any soft point in the 80-100 grain should work well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was wanting partition performance for gameking price haha. I really wanted to try hornady interlock but I haven't been able to find any due the ammo shortage. Maybe I'll suck it up and just buy some partitions. It's odd that they make 95 and 100 grain. Any of you know the reasoning for the small weight difference?

I killed a lot of deer with the 6 REM, 95g partition and 43g of IMR 4350, Rem 9 1/2 primer.

100's did not shoot worth a hoot.

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWith all the 100 grain bullets IMR-4350 will be hard to beat.

+1. 4350 is hard to beat in just about anything Has worked well for me in everything from the 6mm's all the way up to 375 h&h.

Regards,
hm

I would give the accubond a shot, I have shot deer with the 87gr bergers and the 80gr NBTs. The 95gr Berger would be an excellent choice for the 6mm.

I have owned two 6mm Remington rifles years back. Nifty cartridge that killed deer and coyotes with equal enthusiasm. My load used IMR-4350 and either the Hornady Interlock 100 gr. or the Speer 105 gr. Hot Core. Never have any trouble with the 6mm/.243 killing deer. I have used the .243 Winchester considerably more and with a wider variety of bullets and I am pretty sure if you pick a decent bullet and do your part you won't have any troubles.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesYou don't need partitions for deer. My rifle hated the 100s.

Not trying to be rude, but if partitions are to much for deer then why do they make them in 6mm? I have heard of a few brave souls using them in .243 with elk.

Partitions are a fool proof bullet. They will stay together and penetrate deep. They are expensive to make, so they cost more to buy. They are not known for extreme accuracy or long range ballistics. There are many good bullets that cost less, and will kill deer well. If your on a budget, you don't have to load a top of the line bullet. Under 300 yards you or the deer won't be able to tell the difference.

85 grain Sierra GK HPBT work just fine in a 243, don't see why they wouldn't with the 6mm. And 100 gr big game bullet outta do just fine, too.

4895 or Varget as the propellant

I've never killed deer with the 6mm partition (I have several boxes on the shelf someone gave me, just didn't shoot good as I wanted), but I've killed a bunch of deer with a bunch of different 6mm bullets (from 65gr vmax to 105gr VLD) from the 6x45 to the 6mmRem.

From my experience (at 243 & 6rem speeds) a 100gr cup & core kills about as good as anything. I would highly recomend either the 100gr Interlok or the 100gr gameking for all around deer hunting. Some of the smaller bullets work REALLY well too but can't handle the bigger bone if quartering shots (on big whitetails) is needed.

Another good bullet worth noting, if you make & take good shots, is the 85gr gkhp (mentioned). It works very well also.

If you go over to 24hrcampfire lots of those guys RAVE about how great the 95gr BT is. I used it for quite a while (trying to find out why they thought it was so great) & have found it to be a pretty hard bullet. Yes, it penetrates very well but I seemed to get more runners unless shooting both shoulders. The base has a really thick jacket & it acts alot like a partition. From what I here it sees a few elk as well.

What I have found is the softer bullets kill faster (less trailing) with well placed shots. I try no to shoot lengthways through whitetails. You shouldn't need a premium bullets wtih 40" of penetration for a whitetail deer.

Still, If you have REALLY big deer, always want to break shoulders, or shoot quartering away shots; a bullet like the partition or Barnes may be helpfull. I find them unnecccesary for my style.

The 100 gameking or interlok has enough azz to break the onside shoulder & get into the vitals. It will make a mess!!!This is a deer my son shot at 150 yards with a 100gr gameking through the shoulder & exited (at least some of the bullet) tight behind this shoulder (pic is of exiting side). Lots of shock. Not to unusual for the inside to look like this with the gameking.

Originally Posted By: coleridge

The 100 gameking or interlok has enough azz to break the onside shoulder & get into the vitals. It will make a mess!!!This is a deer my son shot at 150 yards with a 100gr gameking through the shoulder & exited (at least some of the bullet) tight behind this shoulder (pic is of exiting side). Lots of shock. Not to unusual for the inside to look like this with the gameking.

+1 what he said.

No, the Partitions are not target / match grade bullets. I have found that they shoot as well as any store bought ammo.
Out to 250 yds they should shoot less than Minute of deer.

I just ordered 3 boxes of 100 Gr. Nosler 6mm/.243 Partitions
thumbup.gif
I'll have them by the 23RD.

My opinion of the partitions is that you get the performance of a full copper bullet and the performance of a cup and core bullet all rapped up in one. How can you beat that?

For cup and core bullets the Sierra pro hunter or the game kings works as good as other cup and core bullets.

Hornady interlock haven't given me the accuracy that the partitions and the Sierra pro Hunter and the Game Kings have,
and this is in .243, .264 Win Mag, 30/06, and 300 Win Mag.

DAB

Coleridge is correct the NBT has a cooper base.

Copper base and jacket from a 223@150yrds

Recovered from the base of the neck on this deer.

Last edited:
Back