Went on a shopping spree.

RePete

I recently sold a few knives that I never use with the intention of funding my first "custom" knife so after allot of tire kicking and obsessing I finally ordered a knife from DT out of New Mexico.
http://www.dtknives.com/
He makes the blades from old files from the early 1900's so they're almost a hundred years old to start with. He refers to it as a "tool from a tool" but whatever you call it they definatly have soul IMO.
Mine will be similar to this one but without mosaic pins, lanyard tubes, or belt clips. Just nice Amboyna burl with brass pins and spacers.
yy97.jpg

During my quest I also ran across GEC's little B&T knives and being a sucker for just about any 1095 B&T I couldn't resist this little guy for 77.00 shipped.
ry9h.jpg

ool6.jpg

Unlike most of the GEC "cult" members, I'm not their biggest fan but I have to say that other than being duller than a Nancy Pelosi speech and the sheath being a huge over-kill, it's about as close to the perfect B&T pattern as I've seen. (Hope my favorite little NW B&T didn't hear that:)

As you can see, there's a whole lot more sheath than knife.
Matter of fact, I have revolver holsters with less leather.
First time I can remember complaining about something being over-built but I think a nice little pouch sheath is in order. LOL
1t29.jpg

Anyway,,, the new DT won't be here for a few months but you can bet I'll post pix when she arrives.

Those are some beauties Charlie! Can't go wrong with Amboyna. I think we have some similar tastes. That 1095 blade looks like a heck of a usable little piece. Sweet blades buddy!

Thanks
Hope you're getting some use out of that little trapper.
Thanks to you I had enough left in my knife fund to pick the GEC too.
Now I've got a knife for each hand.
grin.gif

Nice blades buddy. I like the spec's for your new DT knife, should be a classic style beauty. Like you I think the sheath for the GEC ruins the handiness of a B&T type knife. I'd be shopping that out for a new sheath.

Yea,,, since he's basically repurposing those old files I tried to keep it kind of "organic" by using brass spacers instead of the usual plastic ones. Kinda bored with all the mosaic pins and lanyard tubes too. Sorta makes all the really high quality custom pieces all look the same if ya know what I mean.

As far as the sheath goes, I actually have some passable leather-working skills and some material on hand so I'll head out to the garage before it gets to hot tomorrow and get started on one.
Depends on how it turns out but I "might" post a pic when it's done.
frown.gif
wink.gif

One things sure though. My opinion of GEC has definatly gone up a notch or two since this one arrived.

I really like how he left some of the file hash marks on the balde. Nice character. And that GEC is nothing to snuff at! Very nice, on both accounts.

I like them both a lot also.

Good choice on omitting the large lanyard hole, Charlie. It was a bit much IMO.

I also agree about the GEC sheath. And don't care for the "printing" on them either. But the knife is beautiful...........

Yea,,, I've never been a fan of etching's on blades either Ken. Fortunately they usually fade with use rather quickly on 1095 steel.
I've been handling it allot while sharpening it and working on a sheath and I gotta say, the more I handle it the more I like this little knife.

BTW,,, the sheath is coming along nicely although I spilled the dye on it (and my work bench) when I was applying it so she's a little darker than I was shooting for.
blush.gif

I got it wiped off the sheath pretty quick though so it's not too bad but sheesh, what a mess.
frown.gif

eta,,,, it's supposed to be 104 by Tuesday
crazy.gif
so I gotta go to town and stock up on beer today
smile.gif
but I'll get back to work on the sheath tomorrow and post pix when she's done.

Last edited:
Finally got the new sheath for the GEC done today.
Nothing fancy but a dang site better IMO than that monstrosity that came with.
Fits nice and snug with just enough of the "heel" exposed to get a grasp.
The design of the handle is actually formed so's it's easy to hook your finger under the back side.
I'm happy but I still wonder how many head of cattle died to make the original.
grin.gif

w1g9.jpg

I bought a DT knife last year and it had become my goto blade. Comes scary sharp and very easy to sharpen. Would suggest keeping oiled.

Originally Posted By: Irrigator Would suggest keeping oiled.

Yea,,, the majority of my knives are carbon so I'm used to that.

Got any pix of your DT?

The old curmudgeon makes a darn nice sheath methinks. Very nice work Charlie.

As for the GEC sheath, I'm no fan of it either. I mean it isn't cheaply made like some, and definitely a tad "overbuilt". But that lettering and pattern on there look pretty cheesy to me. Don't like it at all. Were it not there, the sheath wouldn't bother me as much, but like the pouch style sheath better, either way. All that "ink" bugs me about as much as the billboards Queen puts on their blades. I've never cared much for tan, or lighter colored leather either. It almost looks orange. Give me a deep rich brown, reddish brown, or even black. The blackening of the tan edges makes it look even worse, IMO.

As for your knife, that etching on the blade doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't look bad, IMO, like some of the blade etchings do.

Sweet little knife. I like it a lot.....

Yea,,, that ink on GEC's sheaths is hideous IMO.
Don't know if they're older or newer but during my quest I saw some of their fixed blade's that had the same sheath without the designs and lettering. Tolerable but still not my style.

BTW,,, I just got an e-mail from Dan. My knife's done and just waiting on a couple more coats of tru-oil. He said he has 17 orders in front of me but he got so wrapped up in the brass liners he just had to see how they came out.
grin.gif

He sent me four pix. It's beee-u-teee-ful!
smile.gif

Should have it some time next week.
I'm excited.

Back