reloading varmint bullets in 243 Win

JerryinPA

Hi fellows,

I'm just going to start into coyote hunting. Before I invest in "the perfect rifle", I'd like to use my 243 Winchester "deer rifle" for a while. It's a "Browning A-bolt Hunter".

I've had it for a few years, and I've been able to routinely shoot sub MOA at 100 yards off the bench. I've only shot 85, 95, and 100 grain bullets. I've only used IMR 4350.

Now, I'll need a lighter, varmint style bullet. I bought a box of Hornady V-MAX bullets in 75 grains as a place to start.

When I tried reloading the first batch yesterday, I discovered that if I seat them to the .005 or .010 off-the-lands depth that has always given such good accuracy with the heavier/longer bullets, the base of the boat-tailed bullet only goes about 1/3 of the way into the case neck. This doesn't seem like a very sturdy bullet construction?

So my question is this: Should I seat it deeper? Will this PROBABLY diminish accuracy? Or is it still OK to construct a bullet that only partially engages the case neck of the brass?

I'll work up the load both ways eventually, but I don't want to do something unsafe.

Question #2. With the lighter bullet, should I be using a different powder?

Thanks in advance.

Regards to all,

Jerry in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

Jerry; Seating the bullet deeper because it has a boat-tail is often nessesary. It will Not diminish accuracy. In fact I havent used my stoney point guage in some time now. Think of it this way, factory ammo has to be tolorant for a wide variety of rifles.
Or how about this, loading Sierra 85gr gamekings, or 70gr. blitzkings, both a bt. Neither maxed close to the lands, well with the blitzking you can't, and with the gameking accuracy actually increased when I brought the col closer to book/factory col.
blitzkings
gamekings

To answer your question about if you should be using the same powder you better refer to your reloading manual to see if 4350 is compatable with this bullet weight. Many times you will have to change powder as different bullet weights are used. BE SURE!

I use IMR 4064 with a 65 gr VMax....wonderful bang/flop load.....I use 40 grains and it is safe in my rifle, I STRONGLY suggest you start at least 10% lower (36 grains)and work up carefully from there. Mine is deadly accurate and hits well out to 400 yards...I haven't been able to pop one further than that with this rifle....YET!!!

I load a 65 grain V-Max bullet over 41.0 grains of Varget with a Federal 210 primer. It will shoot 1/2" @ 100 yds. out of my Ruger 77MkII.C.O.L. 2.6"

Last edited:
I load the exact same thing as Viking_hunter in my Rem 700 except that I use 38gr of Varget. I get 1/2" groups all day long.

Oh as for getting the "Perfect rifle" well you already have it!

Last edited:
I'd have to agree that the .243 is probably the best "all around" varmint rifle out there. I use a 6mm Rem, which is practically the same thing, and have popped a lot of pdogs with it. I get great results with 37 1/2 grains of Varget under a 75 grain VMax. With this load, which clocks 3207fps from my 26" tube, I have a MPBR of 308 yards, and a zero of 265 yards. I have a load of 45 grains of Varget under a 55 grain NBT with a MV of 3936 fps, and with no adjustment of the scope setting it's less than 6" low at 400 yds.
I will be the first to admit, though, that a heavy day in the dogtowns with a .243/6mm class of rifle will make you appreciate the .223 Rem for the 300 yard and under shots.
My .223 is cheap to reload for, easy on the shoulder even after shooting it a lot, doesn't heat up terribly fast, and I like it, but, if limited to one rifle, I'd unhesitatingly pick a .243 Win or 6mm Rem.

Mike

I have an older Savage sporter 110 in .243Win. I use Nosler 70gr. Bal.Tips with IMR4064 39.0grs. It gives me 3400fps and groups into .530" (5 at 100yds). About 2.715" is as long as I can get and still securely hold the bullet in the neck. My rifle handles that OAL nicely. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

to my way of thinking, your 243 is an ideal coyote
rifle. the wife and i do quite a lot of coyote calling
during fur season. we use 70 grain speers and they do us
a very good job. we have found that our 223's are some
what light at long range, but then a 12 gauge is more than
enough for close range. careful about getting into the
coyote hunting, as it is extremely addicting. good luck

.243 I am hooked,45.5 gr varget push a 55gr nosler bt @3900
but I am wondering about h 380 53 gr pushesthe 55 nos @4069
smokin fps the varget shoots well in my savage 300 yd g-hogs off a rnd bale don't have a chance.For price/ out of the box accuracy/ trigger quality I don't believe savages can be beat pillar bed, heavy locking lugs, good action the dn side is the finish might not be as nice as a rifle costing several hundred more. just my 2 cents

i dont know a lot about reloading but i can help with a round that i like to shoot through my 243. that is winchester 55gr blastic tip. the only bad part is that they will destory a coyote at close range. now the 223 is a very light wieght rifle good accurcy. i have a new england 223 single shot. i shoot a 45 gr jacket hollow point. the bad part about the round is that it cant shot through grass or weeds even at close range. i hold a .75 at 200yrds. this round is strange, i never had it to exiteven at close range. the best part is that rounds are cheep, 12-15 a box of 40. good luck and good hunting

patrick

You won't have that round exit at close range. Most bullets, especially plastic-tipped and hunting hollowpoints, will tend to blow-up on close up shots, due to the high impact velocity.

Case in point. I've shot a couple dozen deer with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in .270 Win. Most of them were less than 125 yards away, and I never got through and through penetration on one. I shot one deer at 376 yards with the same load, and the Ballistic Tip performed more like a conventional soft-point, blowing through both shoulders like butter, and leaving a silver dollar sized exit hole. At that range, the bullet had slowed down to around 2200 fps, while it was launched at 3060. The lesser velocity allowed the bullet to withstand impact, and not fragment as dramatically as it would have on a close shot.

Mike

Jerry,

IMR 4350 is the universal powder for the 243 and it's best for all bullet weights from 75 grs and up.

Sometimes a rifle will shoot best with deep seated bullets. The 55 gr and 58 grs are examples in the 243. Try some various depths suggested by the manuals.

Thanks guys for all the great advice. As a new-comer to this board, I'm impressed by you'alls helpfulness. I appreciate it.

I bought a can of Varget a couple of days ago, and I'll be trying some loads with two different bullets, the 75 grain Hornady VMax'x and the older style 70 grain Hornady Spire Points. (My local sports shop has a few boxes of the old-style 70 SP's that I can buy for a "song and a dance".)

Just for the heck of it, I did load 5 rounds of IMR4350 under the Hornady 75 VMax's. I loaded 42 grains. They shot into a 5-shot, 100 yard, 7/8" group. I was kinda surprised since theoretically the IMR4350 is a little slow for this bullet.

Here's to hoping that the Varget will do even better!

Thanks again,

Jerry.

Back