which Vortex scope power/reticle combo?

ghilliedup

Im ordering a new scope tonight for my .243 coyote gun, its a marlin xs7 that im using for mainly calling, and general target shooting as well anywhere from 100-400 or so yards. Ive pretty well decided on the Vortex Crossfire line as that's about as good as my budget of $250 will allow. I am really stuck on what model would be best for me, the 4-12x44 with a BDC reticle or I can get a Vbrite (which is basically a duplex with illum center dot) on a 3-9 or 6-18 model.
I really think the 6-18 is too much scope for calling but would be nice for the longer target days. Im afraid the 6x would be hard to pick up a moving target at say 50-75 yards.

Then the 3-9 I think this would cover me fine for hunting but would be lacking in the target shooting and I have had several of them, and sorta want something with a little longer range ability.

If the V brite was offered on the 4-12 that would be my pick but its not, I can really see how that would be beneficial to someone like me who has a weak strong shooting side eye. Plus the .243 shooting 58grainers has almost 300 yrds of point blank so maybe I don't even need the BDC?

I dunno, but to sum it up its between the following:
4-12x44 with the BDC
3-9x50 Illum dot
6-18x44 Illum dot....all are within 2 oz of each other in weight...thanks for your wisdom!

I just picked up a diamondback 4x12x40 for 190 to go on my .243 it's good glass for the price no BS warranty. I haven't had it long enough to shoot longer ranges but at 100 yards sitting in, it was clear crisp picture. The knobs have positive click and you can set them to zero once initial sight in is done so you can spin turrets for paper punching.

I actually was able to look at the diamondback and crossfire 2 at the same time and compare them both, outside the store and look across a huge field to compare them. the glass was identical, same turrets, same mag powers.... as far as I could tell really the only difference between the two was the crossfire had excellent eye relief, not that the dback wasn't good but the crossfires eye relief was much better.

If im not mistaken the crossfire 2 has added most of the features that the diamondback has..the original crossfire was missing some of the dbacks things like the reset turrets etc, but now im fairly sure they are very close to being the same scope...at least it really looked that way to me

I did look at a couple Vipers but it just didn't seem $200 better to me, at least not

The only Nikon I have looked at was a prostaff, I liked it pretty well, but the vortex was a touch clearer and I like the vortex No Excuses warranty as I tend to be rough on things sometimes. But mainly I hate the Nikon BDC, they could of put hashes, dot, diamonds etc anything other than a open O would have been better IMO

Last edited:
Those O Are hard to beat when the application is putting down fur.. You simply put fur in all or the majority of the O and the fur is on the ground.. It's not made to punch paper!!! It's made to KILL!!!

Back