Luck with a .17 hmr

Verminator9

I just bought a savage .17 hmr! But I was wondering if anyone was having any luck with them? And what ammo to use, and the set up of your gun...

As you will soon find out, it's a fun little round. It'll darn sure kill things it was intended to kill and things it wasn't.
smile.gif

As far as luck, mine went bang every time I pulled the trigger and ejected the empty case every time I worked the bolt. Thought I was pretty lucky.

I have a savage 93fv and it likes Hornady the best. I always used to shoot federals they are my second choice.

Originally Posted By: Verminator9Have you killed any yotes or cats with it?

I'm not a big fan of using it for coyotes. I tried it on a few and didn't care for the results.

Never shot a cat with it.

How does this continue to happen?

For future reference, .223 Remington and 5.56x45 are interchangeable, you can't fool a coyotes nose so cover scents are useless, Trans-sonic instability is a myth and Elvis is still dead.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyHow does this continue to happen?

For future reference, .223 Remington and 5.56x45 are interchangeable, you can't fool a coyotes nose so cover scents are useless, Trans-sonic instability is a myth and Elvis is still dead.

Chupa

BS!!

Elvis is alive and well.

That aside, are you feeling OK today chupy? Think you're in the wrong thread.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Verminator9I have .223, I just bought a .17 to have alittle fun!! And hopefully to take down some animals

the .17 is a hoot as long as you recognize and adhere to it and your limitations.I love squashing squirrels with mine.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyHow does this continue to happen?

Chupa

BS!!

Elvis is alive and well.

That aside, are you feeling OK today chupy? Think you're in the wrong thread.
lol.gif

Feelin fine DC, just getting a head start on all the other FAQ's.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy... and Elvis is still dead.

Chupa

As "K" said in MIB, "No son he just went home".

You forgot that coyotes will come to bacon scent.

Love my 17 HMR for what it is, short range, small game, killing device and target puncher. Definition of short range and small game left open to individual capabilities
wink.gif

I didn't forget. It still won't mask your stink to a coyote, a coyote will take one wiff and think "there is a guy over there holding a piece of bacon, and he uses Hoppes #9 on his gun", you ain't foolin a coyotes nose.

Chupa

Last edited:
I have a Sav 93-17 BRJ and it likes the CCI VMax loads. But all rimfires are picky. I was shooting beside a member who had the exact same rifle. His didn't digest the CCI as well as Hornady. The only way to know, is trigger time.

And the HMR is a bunny gun and down. Maybe a fox gun around 50 yards. Don't try to make it a long range coyote getter.

I've killed a ton of small game with them and even some pigs but I have also lost a few pigs with mine. I got a 204 instead. But over all a great little gun

I have a Savage 93 and it likes the 20 grain hps. I kill all kinds of stuff with mine. It will take out just about anything you put the crosshairs on if you do your part. I have killed many pigs with mine and it will kill foxes and bobcats no problem at 100 yards just watch your wind and do your part behind the trigger and you will probably be smiling a lot more.

Back