Sow Nailed in Backyard

SkyPup

One 7.62mm Barnes 130 grain TSX @ 175 yards to the neck in the pouring down rain right at sunset using the FLIR T-50 thermal puts down this 225 pound sow:

Sig%20716%20T50%20Hog.jpg

Sig%20716%20T50%20Hog2.jpg

More to come, they are tearing things up around here...
grin.gif

Thats a nice sow! She's even got some cutters. Looks pretty in that golden Florida sand,LOL.
Nice rifle set up, too,by the way.

Last edited:
The FLIR T-60 Thermal Clip-On is a solid performer too, as evidenced by this 150 pound sow that took a handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX to the head today @ 225 yards in thick deep cover, no way could I see this hog without Thermal......
grin.gif

Sow%20T60.jpg

Sow%20Grapple.jpg

T50 took down another hog before dawn today, 185 yards and 285 pounds one handloaded Barnes 130gr TSX. I have been after this dude for over a month now, never did he show up when I was ready for him, he just left me huge holes all over the yard.

Finally picked him up on the game cam yesterday at 6:30AM and took off the day from work to see if I would ambush him, sure enough he showed up before sunrise about 6AM...

SIG%20716%20T50%20285lb%20Hog.jpg

285%20lbs.jpg

Nice! The last one looks like a 4-H escapee. If I was a betting man, I'd sooner take a bite of him than the first two, assuming certain parts removed at proper stage of life. If it is 100% feral, maybe not.

Still have yet to go on a feral hog hunt. Chased plenty of 4-h projects...

That is a feral Hampshire derived hog, there are literally hundreds of them in and around our property mixed in with the hundreds of Spanish stock left over from Ferdinand DeSoto back in the 1500's.

As far as I am concerned, a hog is a hog, and a hog on my property that I do not own is a dead hog since I do not own hogs or operate a swine farm.

The rifle is a SIG 716 7.62X51mm.

Apparently we have a mixture of Hampshires, Yorkshires, and Durocs mixed in with the Spanish wild hogs on our property, it has been this way for the last 35 years here that I have been harvesting them.

From what I understand from the Game Warden, there is also a large herd of Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs around here too, although I have never seen or shot any of them.

Like I said, I am not a hog farmer, I do not raise hogs on my property, and I shoot all hogs that deprecate the environs here. A hog is a hog is all I know, on my property a hog is a dead hog.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupApparently we have a mixture of Hampshires, Yorkshires, and Durocs mixed in with the Spanish wild hogs on our property, it has been this way for the last 35 years here that I have been harvesting them.

From what I understand from the Game Warden, there is also a large herd of Vietnamese Pot Bellied pigs around here too, although I have never seen or shot any of them.

Like I said, I am not a hog farmer, I do not raise hogs on my property, and I shoot all hogs that deprecate the environs here. A hog is a hog is all I know, on my property a hog is a dead hog.

And they all taste good once I get done with them...

Had some real excitement last night with that hog carcass.

Set up the FoxPro Prairie Blaster right before sundown in intermittent rain and started calling with a couple of female invitation howls and long howls. Had a group call back to me right before sundown. It was off and on rain, so I could only go out to my stand about every 30 minutes.

About 10:30 I pick up three thermal signatures on the FLIR LS64 coming out of the thick woods on the edge of the clearing about 275 yards out from me. Started Coyote Distress #3 and one split off and went left while the other two came in towards me.

At 125 yards out, I shot both of the pair coming in and knocked each one down (still had coyote distress playing on the e-caller), one ran into an alligator infested pond and the other hightailed it towards the woods.

As soon, as I shot both of them, the other one on the far side of the clearing about 175 yards out ran parallel to me and I knocked him down too, he got up and went into the woods.

It started raining again and I went out walking around with the thermal trying to find them, no luck after two outings in the rain, it was getting dark so I gave it up.

Got home from work and found this one on the edge of the clearing, apparently the other one that ran into the thick grass on the edge of the pond attacted three gators to him and he was ripped to shreds. The third one on the far side I have not found yet but will keep looking, probably find his skeleton in a week or two.

That was the first time I had hit three different coyotes at the same time! Pretty freaking exciting for me standing out in the dark rain...

T60%20Triple.jpg

This was the exit wound from the Barnes 70 grain 5.56mm @ 175 yards:

Exit%20Wound.jpg

Had to chase off an 8 foot gator with the front end loader that was walking up to the hogs when I went out to retrieve them, but got them all dressed out:

Dressed%20Out.jpg

Back