6 X 45 twist rate?

I just had an 18" BHW built in 6x45 with a 1:10 twist rate and plan on loads from 58g to 85g ....haven't started load development as of yet...

1/10" twist will shoot everything from the 55g to 95g bullets perfectly into small groups from 100 to 700 (-MOA @ 700 so far)
That's what I had my 6x45 AR bbl in and now my Savage 24" bbl. VERY accurate to 700 yards...far as Iv'e shot ALL those loads.

***With the 95g Nosler HBT bullet I spit them at 2749 fps in front of H335 and that load will drop any antelope/deer out here to 400 yds w/ease. My col is 2.290" and yes the bullet is tucked into the brass by 2/3s of the length.
I do not use it past that on game & all antelope I have shot with it so far have been about 280 yards.
Now at the range at 700 yards it will print about 5.5" and splats the steel nicely, but its only about 1550 fps out there.***
This year I will be using the Barnes TTSX 80g bullet since it sure prints small groups to 400 yards and is a tad over 2800 fps.
My coyote load is the 65g vmax at 3053 fps and that just plants them on the spot. I have dropped 5 at just a tad over 600 yards with that load and DRT last year and 103 went down to it total.

I built a 6x45 around a 20" BHW 9 twist last year. As folks have said a 10 will work fine for your weights. My thinking was a 9 offers the ability to use a VLD and long/single load it if I want to at some point while still shooting lighter/shorter bullets just fine. My go-to has become the 85gr Sierra Game King.

To muddy the water a bit here're a couple more twist rate resources:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

About half way down the Montana bullets page is a rule of thumb table.

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/page11.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Field Medic5spd what length barrel are you shooting with the AR??
That was a 20" bbl, ss from BHW.
I am now shooting a 24" bbl, ss on my Savage build.

Mine is a 1/12 twist 20 inch barrel and it handles up to 80gr bullets just fine and that is as heavy as I have felt the need to go in a 6X45mm.

Like has been stated... Anything requiring a 1-8 twist will not fit in the case at mag length.

Top loaded round is the 65gr vmax. The 105 berger, 107 sierra & 105 amax is represented at 2.26" Notice the bearing surface is below the neck on each bullet (not to mention eating up the case volume).

I also have a 6x45 Dtech. It's in a 1-10 twist. I never shoot anything heavier than the 80gr Berger which will run in a 1-12" (as mentioned).

If i built a bolt gun (you don't have to keep the 2.26" oal max & can run it long to keep your volume if throated properly) I would run it 1-10" twist likely. If I was doing another AR it would be 1-12".

THe "knack" for the 6x45 is with the 65-75 grain bullets. The faster twist will only rob velocity & wear barrels faster (not a big concern with 6x45 anyway but still).

Originally Posted By: svt tactical12 twist not length

Well [beeep]
frown.gif

I have had good luck with a 24" 1:10 BHW out to 500 or so. The 87's are the bees knees for mag length although Accurate shots some bigger mag length stuff and the data is pretty solid from what I have shot of it.

I've been shooting a 1:10 20" mongrel barrel in IPSC since the late 80's that has won more than a few matches.

Greg

My ar is 1:10 22" bhw mainly shoot 70 to 95 grain ballistic tips no problem. My encore is a 1:8 but with out the limitations of a mag I can run 95 and 105 grain Bergers. I have single loaded the ar with 95 grain Bergers and the will stabilize. Just isn't fun to make an ar a single shot.

Here is what the 95g nosler HBT can do at 400 yds in my 1/10" twisted 6x45. Its is my top antelope load in the 6x45.
4-5 mph wind. I just ran 7 w/no waiting. Red dot is 3" and spread is right at 2.25".

Originally Posted By: 5spdHere is what the 95g nosler HBT can do at 400 yds in my 1/10" twisted 6x45. Its is my top antelope load in the 6x45.
4-5 mph wind. I just ran 7 w/no waiting. Red dot is 3" and spread is right at 2.25".

Not sure how it works on antelope (couldn't imaging it wouldn't be good) but it looks like one #&!! of a paper coyote load
grin.gif

Back