Husqvarna Rifles

"Husky" also made the "Smith & Wesson" rifles of the time, and the "TradeWinds"...If you ever get the chance to handle a 9000 model, you will experience the smoothest bolt action you have ever had in your hands...I have owned 2 and I kick myself daily for letting them get away...now they are very pricy, and unless I get lucky...I will just have to fondly remember the days at the range with my "Husky's"....The other models are very nice as well...They didn't make no junk.

In college I had a friend that owned a Husqvarna in 30-06. Full length Blonde colored stock. We'd take it and another rifle, a Model 19 Smith and an accurized Colt 1911 and spend the afternoon shooting up a gravel pit, then go home and have a miss of Liver and Onions. Good times.

I heard years later that the rifle burned in a house fire. Too bad, It was one of the nicest rifles I've ever shot. Given a chance I'd buy one.

I might be wrong here, but I believe the Husqvarna's (At least the ones that are so pricey these days)were a type of Mauser action - At least the 1968 vintage 6.5x55 I'm looking at right now is. I also think that the S&W's were made by Howa - Just like the Mossbergs, Vanguards,and doubtless others. Or at elast those forearms with the 1500 in the name were anyways.

Their main claim to fame, after chainsaws, is the racing moto-X bikes they made. Won a lot of races although they did handle a bit different.

Jack

Amazing isn't it....Remington and Singer (sewing machince company) used to make 1911's........what's this world coming to???

I've got 2 of the FFV's that I bought while I was in Germany in the early 70's... a 22-250 and a 270... have to be the smoothest bolt guns ever made... excellent shooters also...

over the years Husqvarna has built for S&W, Colt, Sears and probably some others...

they are now owned by Carl Gustaf, the oldest firearms manufacturer in the world... this take over happened around 1971-72... this was also the time they shifted from the Mauser action to the commercial action they used in the 1972 model that is presently called the FFV... during the transition guns were built with parts from both companies... the 22-250 I have was one of those sporting some Husky parts, some CG parts and others with marks from both companies...

Gunhaus
You are correct most of the S&W guns were made by Howa...but the early S&W guns were Husky's. They are also very smoothe and run Models A, B, C, D & E, and were manufactured from 1969 to 1972. The early guns, the Hi-Powers, 1100, 3100, and 4100 models all had a mauser style action, some with the Husqvarna HVA improved mauser action, The 8000, and 9000 had a non mauser style action...smoothe as butter.

Hi, I've only handled two Husky rifles and the were nicer than the standard rifle most have. But i will say that I own two Sauer 90 Supremes and I would put them up against any rifle for thier build quality and the absolute silkiest bolt I've ever handled. Also had a S&W shotgun made by Howa. Nice looker that shot good. It had a fixed choke so I traded it on a Browning Gold that has proven to be a very good gun.

The rifle I'm looking at is a 30/06, model 4000 Light Weight. I took it out to the range today for a trial run and it produced a three shot group of just under a 1/2 inch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Brush Buster

If the price is right, sounds like you found a keeper...I have a close friend who collect the Husky's and while his hunting rig is a Hi-Power Model in .270, he is always saying that if it wern't for all the memories with that gun, he would take one of the many 4000 he has and make it his field gun. He told me just last night that the 4000 is his favorite model, and the one he likes to find in Pawn shops, garage sales, gun shows.....

Good luck with it.

Back