What clear finish for pepper laminated stock?

Dogslayer24

I'm wanting to get a new Boyd's stock for my .300 and they come as semi-inlet for the Brownings so they aren't finished. I was looking at the Tru oil stuff but not sure if that will put a brown tint on the wood or? Is there anything I can use just to put a matte clear coat on the wood? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Buy the stock from Boyd, they come finished. If you want the fun to finish a stock. Go to the Boyd website and read how to finish their stocks. Last pepper laminated, I did took me month. Do the action and barrel fitting and bedding first. They use soft wood for these laminated stocks so you need a good hard coat. You have to really fine sand these stocks they show every small mark. I buy them finished. They do a nice job.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Buy the stock from Boyd, they come finished. If you want the fun to finish a stock. Go to the Boyd website and read how to finish their stocks. Last pepper laminated, I did took me month. Do the action and barrel fitting and bedding first. They use soft wood for these laminated stocks so you need a good hard coat. You have to really fine sand these stocks they show every small mark. I buy them finished. They do a nice job.

What he said... don't waste a month with an oil finish on a laminated stock - use polyurethane - it is bullet proof and sos easy that even I can do it right. Just shake the can
lol.gif

Okay thanks guys. For my particular rifle, they don't have a finished thumbhole stock available or I would just buy the finished one, I'd rather not have to finish it if I had a choice. They do have the standard stocks that are finished but I'd really like the thumbhole for this rifle.

So just get a spray type polyurethane from Home Depot or?

Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24Okay thanks guys. For my particular rifle, they don't have a finished thumbhole stock available or I would just buy the finished one, I'd rather not have to finish it if I had a choice. They do have the standard stocks that are finished but I'd really like the thumbhole for this rifle.

So just get a spray type polyurethane from Home Depot or?

Yup... I get mine at Home Depot - I have refinished a bunch of stocks, and I use the semi-gloss and it is great. It looks like a factory finish (that's cuz the factories use polyurethane as a finish too
smile.gif
)

What, I did was to shape the pistol grip to fit my hand. I even cut it so I had a palm swell. My fits like a glove.
You will need to buy some Helmsman Spar Urethane by Minwax. Buy two cans, I started with a heavy coat. The hard part is it takes three days to dry, It is summer so that will help. If you gets some runs wipe them lightly with a paper towel. After three day, I sand it wet, with wet and dry 600 paper. Then, light coats every three days. You may need to sand here and there. If you have a scratch in the wood you will see every one. I had to go back and buy the third can. I had nine or ten coats but you have a very hard, nice finish on your stock. Do not forget to seal the inside of you stock. Tape off your bedding job. Do not get to much spray where you bottom metal fits. Don't forget to install two swivel posts in the forearm.

My friend did one with gray and black spray paint. He did a nice camo job. He painted the forearm and pistol grip with texture paint then sprayed black leaves on a gray stock.

To each their own!

Back