17 WSSM or 17 Hornet

#LHB#

I'm looking for a groundhog gun for my farm truck. Originally planned on getting 17hmr but saw the new 17 options and thought they may work a little better. So I guess the plus to the WSSM is $15 for a box of 50 and the hornets upside is at $20 for a box of 25 it can be reloaded. So is there any opinions on which is better? IF I go with the WSSM it wont be until another company makes a rifle worth a [beeep]. Also who all makes a rifle for the hornet? Thanks

I definitely agree with you on the mfg's of the 17 WSM. The hornet is chambered by Savage, CZ, and Ruger (there may be others but this would be the main 3, aside from custom jobs etc...). As far as my opinion, I would go with the hornet, it is faster, flatter and hits harder. It would give you a little more range and versatility over the WSM. I was buying my hornet ammo for $17/box. Plus as you mentioned, if you already have a reloading setup, it can even be more custom tailored to your liking.

With that said, the Savage 17 hornets have had their share of problems as you can read all about in other threads, mine being one of them. However, Savage was quick to fix the issue at no cost to me and the result was this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

4 shots @ 100 yards

I recently reactivated my facebook, so if it tells you the content isn't available, please try again a little later. It takes a little while for everything to get posted again.

Last edited:
Yea I had just about made up my mind about it and planned on going with the hornet but $600-$700 for a 17 hornet? WOW! I don't know that I need one that bad.

Got to hold a Savage B-mag today in Cabelas in WV. THey are small and light....and everything I have seen printed about them was true. Bolt opened easy...but closed with effort.

Clerk mentioned a local bought one and said it shot phenomenal....not sure what that was though.

No ammo available at store...was priced at $ 16 /box.

Would like CZ to chamber this round and may wait and see...?

Yea you defiantly get what you pay for. I would rather have the 17 hornet but don't know if I can bring myself to pay that for a gun I'm going to beat to [beeep] in a farm truck. What does the CZ in 17 hornet go for?

Originally Posted By: #LHB#Yea you defiantly get what you pay for. I would rather have the 17 hornet but don't know if I can bring myself to pay that for a gun I'm going to beat to [beeep] in a farm truck. What does the CZ in 17 hornet go for?

LHB, your luck may run like mine. I got my gunsmith to order me a CZ 17 hornet and when it arrived and I opened the box at the farm store you will never guess what I was looking at. A CZ 17 HMR. His wife only heard 17 and ordered the HMR. Long story short it was an honest mistake and after several apologizes and me looking like I lost my best friend they offered to order me one with no mark up and they would pay for shipping but alas, no CZ 17 hornet available from their distributor then, or today(I checked again). If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck.

Dang CF270,,, I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteDang CF270,,, I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.
frown.gif

You were the person I didn't want to tell about it Repete. I was kinda embarrassed because I was so excited to show you what I got and when I opened that box and saw .17 HMR, well you can guess where my aspirations went. I have a Nikon 6-18x40 scope with Burris Zee Signature Rings all waiting for it.

Where you at LHB? I have family in Timberlake, Roxboro, and Wake Forest. I'm just asking to see where you are. With the advent of multiple distributors available online we all can order online at cost. We only pay shipping(if any), transfer fee, plus the background check fee. The CZ 17 hornet I wanted was not available through an online retailer at that time so I had to see if my gunsmith had it or it could be ordered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyfox270Originally Posted By: RePeteDang CF270,,, I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.
frown.gif

You were the person I didn't want to tell about it Repete. I was kinda embarrassed because I was so excited to show you what I got and when I opened that box and saw .17 HMR, well you can guess where my aspirations went. I have a Nikon 6-18x40 scope with Burris Zee Signature Rings all waiting for it.

Heck,,, the way the gun grabbers are going, you might shoulda kept the Hummer too;)

Hang in there bud, you'll find one.
If it'll make ya feel better you could have had my luck.
First,,, I finally broke down and built a 17M4 several years ago, and within six months Remmy released the 17FB.
Then a few years later, I finally found a Cooper in 17AH I could afford, and wouldn't ya know it, a couple months later they release the 17HH.

Sometimes I think the gun-gods are out to get me if ya know what I mean.
frown.gif
grin.gif

Last edited:
I too am waiting for a CZ 17 Hornet Varmint rifle. Last Saturday there was not a one in any of the Cabela's stores. But I do have 17 Hornet ammo, reloading dies ,brass ,bullets, powder, primers, and a 4-16 X42 scope ready when I get the rifle. I m a 17 caliber fan so I may also get a 17 Win S M rifle to try out on prairie dogs.

Back