Hogs are everywhere! So what location do you hunt them in?

kylekrm944

The USDA has a feral hog map that shows hogs all over the US.

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/ Feral swine map

Do you think that hogs act differently in the east than they do the west, such as the coyote argument ?

What state are you in and what tactics work for you?

My home state is Va. We have a few hogs on the ocean side of the state, except for a small tract of swamp land that's a state park that does a lottery hunt for daytime hunts.

I am active duty military and have been afforded the awesome opportunity to pig hunt in MS.

Work will be taking us to KY/TN in a couple weeks and we may seek some GA lands.

So far I have tried the nighttime with a spotlight attempt, unsuccessfully.

Kyle

Last edited:
I'm in VA too, and my hunting partner and I have accounted for 78 hogs to date. We started out with red Lightforce lights on our calling rifles....killed some pigs, but educated a bunch too!. Started baiting heavily, and using red lights, killed more, but then when a light came on, they would scatter instantly. We started shooting them when the snow was on the ground using 50mm Leupolds with illuminated reticles...that worked very well if we had snow, or a full moon, and inside 100 yds for the most part.
Now we use GEN III D740 night vision, and GEN III monoculars on 30 and 6.5 caliber AR's over bait and ag crop fields, and this is the BOMB for killing pigs!
Good luck!
F1

Well ive used dogs, guns, crossbows, bows, traditional bows, traps, snares, a tee post and a rock. I've killed them night morning and the afternoon. It's whatever pattern they are on. I know guys that have pics of pigs coming to a feeder at 4 am but they act surprise when they don't kill when they only hunt till dark. You gotta be when and where they are. Sometimes that means sitting in a blind freezing sometimes that's means walking in the heat with the Mosquitos eating u alive.

Originally Posted By: NE_WelderNon in Nebraska. Good for farmers. But I'd like to have more meat in the freezer.

Better go tell the farmers in the Seward area that they don't
have any hog problems. They'll be relieved to know that.

I enjoy hog hunting in Texas. I have used dogs & a knife - and I have used a rifle.

I would like to hunt Florida hogs at some point...

Imo, Florida hogs act different from Texas hogs. Florida hogs seem to be a little spookier, but I have only hog hunted Texas a couple of times.

Originally Posted By: NE_WelderNon in Nebraska. Good for farmers. But I'd like to have more meat in the freezer.
Same here none in Maine. Thoe I did see a map on ABC news last week showing hogs in Maine...what joke. Two years ago I herd a ferral hog was shot in central Maine but you would stand a better chance killing a big foot then a hog in Maine.
I did shoot one in Iradale TX two falls ago a 175 lb bore. I must say it was great eating. I almost would like to have them here but there is allot that goes with it. Good luck all that have them wackum and stackum
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: kylekrm944Pigs in Va?

Thought they were only in the false cape state park!!!

What area of Va has pigs?

Kyle

I would like to know as well!!

Central and Southern CA. Spot and Stalk with a Rifle and also Running Catahoulas and Jagds. Would like to get one with my Bow one of these days.

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1I'm in VA too, and my hunting partner and I have accounted for 78 hogs to date. We started out with red Lightforce lights on our calling rifles....killed some pigs, but educated a bunch too!. Started baiting heavily, and using red lights, killed more, but then when a light came on, they would scatter instantly. We started shooting them when the snow was on the ground using 50mm Leupolds with illuminated reticles...that worked very well if we had snow, or a full moon, and inside 100 yds for the most part.
Now we use GEN III D740 night vision, and GEN III monoculars on 30 and 6.5 caliber AR's over bait and ag crop fields, and this is the BOMB for killing pigs!
Good luck!
F1

Are you hunting in Spotsylvania? I hear there are some hogs up that way around Culpeper.

Originally Posted By: NE_WelderApparently "hunting pigs for sport is illegal in Nebraska". Guess there goes that idea.

Are you kidding?

Travis

No sport hunting pigs in KS either. Serious fines and legal repercussions if a person gets caught hauling feral pigs into KS or caught releasing them. We don't have many hogs in KS and we don't want them. They are an invasive species and are not considered a game animal; they actually come under the jurisdiction of the KS Dept of AG/State Vet rather than KDWP&T.

So basically, the state's stance on feral pigs is "We don't have them yet?"

That's the only logical thing I can think of.

Travis

Actually there are and have been some feral hogs in KS for the past12-15 years or so. What is interesting is that some of the first populations just "showed up" randomly hundreds of miles from any other feral populations. I have still yet to see a pig fly, so I am going to get on board with the idea that these random populations were hogs that had wheels under them and were dumped for the purpose of starting huntable populations. KS Dept of Ag hired USDA Wildlife Services to eradicate the populations and passed legislation to restrict the importation of feral hogs. So far it has worked pretty well, but there is a lot of activity down on the OK and MO lines where they are crossing into KS.
The theory/idea is that sport hunting will actually cause more hog populations to get established.
There is a recent article in the Great Bend Tribune paper about some of the USDA WS work that has been done.

Originally Posted By: NE_WelderApparently "hunting pigs for sport is illegal in Nebraska". Guess there goes that idea.

Someday Nebraska will regret that law.

Back