Nala-decoy dog- One bad beast

Chris Lynn

After many coyote hunts with friends that have decoy dogs I decided to get one for myself. Her name is Nala and she is one bad beast! I picked her up about a month ago but hadn't had anytime to hunt her serious until this morning. I woke up around 5 am and off her and I went.

I made 2 blank stands at a new place not far from my house. As I was making the stands I heard coyotes off in the distance so I figured I would check that place last as I have never hunted there either. The wind was starting to crank so I put the call about 75 yards in front of me with the wind in my face. I set it up so the coyote would come in between me and the call, in theory anyway.

I started to play my coyote cadence for this time of year and about 6 min into it here comes one sneaking in right where I suspected him to come. Nala is off chasing lizards and having a good time and doesn't see him yet. The coyote breaks cover and heads right for my call. This is when Nala sees the it and heads off to greet the coyote. When the coyote sees Nala he bolts 150 yards past my call and Nala is hot on his [beeep]. When the coyote stops Nala does her dance and back she comes with the coyote in tow. The problem is this coyote is a very aggressive male and he slams nala on the ground and proceeds to whoop her butt. For some reason he let up and she decides its her turn. She now is cutting his [beeep]. By this time I am so full of adrenaline and shaking all over as I wanted to help but couldn't take a shot without risking hurting her... they finally break off and I take a shot.. BOOOOM. I miss!! Off runs the coyote with Nala hot on his [beeep]. They run behind me and all over the ridge, Back and forth they go. Its a weird game they play. She finally gets him back in front of me and I send another round down range, BOOOM... you guessed it, I missed again., THis is not like me. I was still pretty high from all the happenings I couldn't hold my rifle still. Off the Coyote runs again. This time 200 yards behind me. Nala doesn't see him go this time and she is now by me looking at me like [beeep], kill that thing!!

I switch to pup distress and behind me, in the direction the coyote ran, they all start howling and barking. Nala hears this and takes off in that direction. I hear her barking and I know she is headed back my way. Sure enough she is and the coyote is right behind her. She comes to my side but the coyote veers off to the right about 75 yards parallel with my call on a ridge. I take a slow deep breath and squeeze the trigger... BOOOM, Off runs the coyote. I couldn't believe it. I am kicking myself in the [beeep] the entire time and thinking what a loser I am and how I need to get to the range as I am usually accurate with surgical precision,

As I hang my head in shame I walk towards the place I took my last shot. I am texting some of my coyote friends to tell them how bad I suck and I hear Nala Bark at me about 125 yards off. I think nothing of it. She comes running back to me and looks at me like I should follow her. I figure she must have a rabbit or something. SO I head that way and she does her one lone bark again. Now I am really confused. She peeks behind a bush and looks at me like "Are you coming or what fat [beeep]?" As I round the bush there is a dead coyote!! I killed it and had no idea I hit that coyote. It was a solid hit but you couldn't tell when I shot it was. I couldn't believe she found it. The best part is, it was unsolicited. I didn't ask her to find it or encourage it. I could have sworn I missed it. She tracked that coyote down and communicated with me where it was. What an Amazing dog! I am so proud of her.

It was a roller coaster of adrenalin and emotions. I will never forget this hunt. What really amazed me was how aggressive that male was. I must have been close to his den.

Nala did her job and she kept bringing that coyote back to me. She brought him back 3 times. I was impressed she stayed with him even after getting her [beeep] handed to her. It didn't bother her a bit. ... I am so proud of her. To have a dog that tracks and decoys is truly amazing. She is a great hunting partner!

I will be heading out more and I am sure it will be an adventure each time.

here are some pics of todays hunts:

Her Keeping an eye on my six

null-22.jpg

good Girl

null-16.jpg

Self portrait

null-15.jpg

Much deserved drink of water

null-12.jpg

She's ready to go home... She worked hard

null-14.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It was one [beeep] of a hunt. I have never seen so much action in front of me before. It was an adrenaline rush for sure

Nice work Chris. Its easy to get rattled when a coyote works the dog like that. Glad she is working for ya.

I know several guys that have been waiting on this story. It takes a few of those kind of stands to realize its normal and keep composure. Sounds like a dang fun stand. You have a bad azz dog keep us updated on her.

Originally Posted By: btech29Nice work Chris. Its easy to get rattled when a coyote works the dog like that. Glad she is working for ya.

Jeff she is a once in a lifetime dog! Like I said in my email to you, I will be breeding her for sure. Her genetics need to be continued. If you ever hear of a good stud dog with the same qualities let me know.. We will make it happen

Originally Posted By: cawilson82I know several guys that have been waiting on this story. It takes a few of those kind of stands to realize its normal and keep composure. Sounds like a dang fun stand. You have a bad azz dog keep us updated on her.

Yeah she is amazing. She wouldn't stop decoying until I put that dog down, she has the heart of a lion. I was in awe that it was happening so close to me. I really wanted to help her when she was getting her butt handed to her. I didn't like seeing my girl get beat up, She got tired of it too and handled it herself
wink.gif
.. THe best part about her is she is like this in the field and is a kitten around the house. I just love her

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Lynn The coyote breaks cover and heads right for my call. This is when Nala sees the dog and heads off to greet the coyote.

I'm confused. There was a coyote and a dog that Nala went to?

Either way, sounds like it was about as exciting as a guy could ask for. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

I have a male you could breed Nala to. He decoys muskrats and catches crawdads. Should make some dandy pups!

You done good with Nala Jeff. Real good...

I got to hunt with Nala once, she is a good sucker!!! hope she dont get ate up too many times, because she doesn't have any quit in her!

Back