Made up my mind

CSM52

Well i made up my mind on my first rifle purchase once i turn 18 (tomorrow).

Plans:

Savage axis xp 223 1:9 twist

Pay to have the barrel cut down to around 18 inches

put a nikon p-223 scope on it (still in question)

and eventually but a somewhat nicer scope

any pointers or advice? or other model i should go with?

cause i have never had one and all my others rifles i have are browning and remington so i figured i would try something new and they seem on the cheap and versatile side of things.

i would like to stay under 500 on the initial purchase and if i could find what i wanted i would prefer used actually with a scope already

I bought one of those Axis in .223 for my grandson to shoot because it was inexpensive. Shocked the heck out of me. It shoots under an inch with midway blems of 50gr. Never shot the bigger (68/69) in it. Just didn't see the need. I was concerned about the recoil lug set up, but with the .223 it doesn't seem to matter.

Tom

There is nothing wrong with a Savage rifle. The Axis and the Stevens 200 will shoot with guns costing twice as much leaving
money for optics and other upgrades.

IIRC the xp is the package deal with the cheap scope? How much you paying for it around there? Here Wally World sells them for $277 which get you $200 towards a better scope and rings setup, you could end up with a Nikon prostaff or redfield and end up right at your $500 price, just my .02

Back