FLIR LS64 & SIMILAR HOT SHOE IDEA

doublecheese

Hi

I wanted to share my Hot Shoe mod with you guys.

First of all Flir LS64 Has VIDEO OUTPUT and below are video pins (+) and (-)

mji.png

Since I suck at electronics, I went to my local electronics shop to make a Hot Shoe for my Flir LS64 .

We have combined my ideas with his ideas and his knowledge and this is what we came up with.....

First , The Structure

Flir LS64 has some click points where a fixed structure would just click in and it gets connected the Flir LS64. All you have to do is to slide the structure towards the front of the LS64.

So my electronics guy made this structure which just clicks in to LS64 just by sliding . You can see the structure on the above picture.

Second, Electronics

We made the electronics circuit board as seen on the picture,

uxjh.jpg

Third, assembling things together .

This guy put some Hot Silicon (as we say it ) to assemble everything together. The at the end we had a very strong structure.

Then he was gonna make a Plastic Mould for this , but the plastic mould guy asked for too much money so we gave up the plastic Mould idea and put some more hot silicon over .

8p2h.jpg

72f2.jpg

fsq6.jpg

Now because we only used Hot Silicon, the surface is NOT even, don't worry about this because at the end I will cover it with something like this to hide these uneven surfaces.

amu6.jpg

Now I have a structure that fits exactly underneath the LS64

k10j.jpg

We also added a Screw kind of lock to secure the Hot Shoe under my LS64 till I don't want it there anymore.
t81a.jpg

As you can see the Hot Show now fits exactly underneath the LS64, it just clicks there and stays there, on top of this as a security, I have a nut that I can tighten (A Nut, same size as the Tripod Screw)

jfiz.jpg

VIDEO OUT JACK
To make the Hot Shoe thin enough , we used a 3.5mm Video Out jacket , a female jacket soldered inside the Hot Shoe and as you can see the HOT SHOE is so thin, maybe I do not even have to take it out when I don't use it.
9y41.jpg

Another picture here:
url]

NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS TO COVER THE OUTSIDE SURFACE WITH SOME COVER MATERIAL. Then I will have a decent look on outside surface of the hot shoe.

This Hot Shoe is so thin , I think I will leave it on the LS64 all the time, when I need to VIDEO OUT some video, just insert the Male 3.5mm jack cable to my LS64 and start recording.

When I have the time, I will post some pictures after covering the surface with some cover material ......

Enjoy

Last edited:
I spray painted the hot shoe today, it looks kinda OK.
Maybe I will not wrap it with camo cloth sticker.

Since it is so thin , I decided to keep it on most of the time...

8m3l.jpg

u1go.jpg

Regarding the cost
The material used was about 20-25$

But I hired the guy for one full day and he said his daily cost is 125$

I know it sounds expensive but, i hired a guy to do it. If I had enough enough electronics knowledge my total cost would be around 20-25$

looks pretty good doublecheese. I think I would remove it when not in use just so you don't somehow mess it up, but if it is rock solid, other than possibly the constant pressure on the pads on the Flir where the connection is made could over time be an issue, I suppose you could leave it on all the time if you wanted but I wouldn't.

Ordered a dv-820 recorder off ebay $50, has video input and water proof will post videos when it gets here.

The dv820HD has hdmi input not composite, so I now have a waterproof HD DVR
cursing.gif
that I don't need. Description said av cable included.

Ordered a DVR with composite video input. Should be here in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupNice work man, now lets see some video or stills from the vid of those Euro boars!
thumbup1.gif

This one is for you man :))

(the video will be ready in 10 minutes according to Youtube)

I went hunting with a friend yesterday. Our idea was to make some Wild Boar sounds with my FoxPro Shockwave to see if we can attract some wild boars. My idea was to film the hunt for you.

Apparently this one came by but he was NOT interested with the source of the sound , so he kept walking. I understood he would go away so I gave the LS64 to my friend and I started looking for the Wild Boar from my scope but I could not get him in my reticle in time
frown.gif
So did not have the chance to shoot him. Hopefully next time
smile.gif

Wow, talk about a vantage point, it almost looks like you are in a helicopter above those boars!! Haha, I'm lucky if I can get six feet above the swamp, not including the foot deep mud I stand in!!! LOL!!!
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWow, talk about a vantage point, it almost looks like you are in a helicopter above those boars!! Haha, I'm lucky if I can get six feet above the swamp, not including the foot deep mud I stand in!!! LOL!!!
tt2.gif

BTW, I FIELD TESTED my hot shoe and it's got my approval.....

My hunting friend/guide is a guy who lives literally on the mountains since was born. So he knows every single acre
smile.gif

We have alot of points like this, the problem is since we are on the mountains there aren't even roads around and till now all roads were muddy still. So we were using this guy's tractor but whose were unpleasant journeys.

Now the summer is here and all mud turned into dry soil, we will goto even better locations. But then we have another problem, since it's summer here most pigs travelled down to the villages where the farmers grow corns and stuff.

So there aren't many pigs at our vantage points currently.

@Hard_ware I wait for the videos.

Last edited:
Here is another video that I shot with my Flir LS64..... I shot the video yesterday, if I counted right there are 17 of them ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ShurshotI think you need a tripod. I am so dizzy after watching that and no boom!
laugh.gif

If I took a shot at them I would probably be in jail now, as I saw those pigs just next to the main road, which is about 500yds away from the military police station and normally now is off hunting season and night hunting without permission is not allowed here anyway. With one shot that I took, I would be in deep trouble.

My regular hunting spot is at least 15 miles away from the nearest humans, so no worries there
wink.gif

Last edited:
Back