action screw torque setting?

savage_man

Just curious if there is a common setting for optimum accuracy in like rifles? Say, Savages like a certain pressure and Rugers like another? Where might I find that? If not how would I go about finding the right setting for each rifle; without thowing lots of led down range?
I guess all would be futile if the stock wasn't pillar bedded, does it also need to be glass bedded for it to make any real diffrence?
Thanks for the help.

I just pulled my Remington 700 from it's stock and I checked how much torque it took to remove so I could get it the same when I reinstalled it and the measurement was 55 inch/lbs on my Wheeler. Not sure how accurate the Wheeler is but when I replaced it it was still on the money at 200yards. FWIW

Stockmakers will have their recommended torque, if your rifle is properly bedded, torque shouldn't really matter, you just want it torqued enough to hold it in place.

Stan pate did an article with his savage model 12, 3 action screws, I believe they just have pillars, not fully devcon bedded.

He adjusted torque settings to essentially tune his rifle, his groups shrunk or grew depending upon torque values.

If you feel like trying that, go for it, but you have to shoot, there is no one magic number for all.

outside of all that, i believe the general rule of thumb is 45 for wood, 55 for synthetic, 65 for chassis or synthetics with bedding blocks.

So there you go..... somewhere between 15 and 65 inch pounds should be perfect.
thumbup.gif

Remington says 30-35 inch pounds on their wood and synthetic stocks, and 45 inch pounds on their Sendero and Police stocks.

Shoot off a E-Mail to Savage and get their recomendation.

Remington Help

Last edited:
Heres what I found on Savage torques. I was close, but no cookie for me.

Savage SCREW TORQUE SPEC'S:
Factory Synthetic Stocks = 25-26 in/lbs
Hardwood Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs
Laminated Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs
Aftermarket Synthetic Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIf bedded properly, torque doesn't matter.

Jack

What!?!? So if a rifle is bedded properly, then torque will have ZERO effect on the rifle? Heck, may as well go 100"/lbs! Really!?

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIf bedded properly, torque doesn't matter.

Jack

I can't prove or disprove it.
smile.gif

I'll agree with Jack here.

Torque sure can have an effect on rifles where there is improper fit to the stock.

Originally Posted By: 5spdHeres what I found on Savage torques. I was close, but no cookie for me.

Savage SCREW TORQUE SPEC'S:
Factory Synthetic Stocks = 25-26 in/lbs
Hardwood Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs
Laminated Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs
Aftermarket Synthetic Stocks = 45 – 65 in/lbs

What source was used for this?

"Theoretically" with a proper stress free bedding job the torque wouldnt matter and you could go to 100 inch pounds but i dunno why ya would.

Back