How far they run after the shot?

Mr Benelli

Just curious of other hunters results...

I am starting to keep track of how far the coyotes run after the shot. Its crazy how far they can run and how tough they are.

I'd say 2 percent drop drt and the rest are runners...using 79 grain 5.56 drt. My average runner is 100 yards.. I find about 99 percent of them. I watch them spin and jump and sometimes lay down and then start the dash...I'm getting tired of looking for them.. As for shot placement it really doesn't make a difference (unless head shot)they still run...seams like the further i shot them near the rear legs the less they run.

Last one I shot was deer hunting with the .270 in December. Hit him behind the front shoulder and he did a few spins and hit the ground.

I shot 2 with my bow during bow season and they both yelped and did a few spins. My arrows had little blood on them, but there was blood on the ground, and I never recovered either one (but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking).

They are very tough.

3 things....

1 Your bullet sucks
2 shooting/ placement is poor
3 all the above.

I'm on the otherside ,the better side 2% runners 98% bang flop, +/- a couple %.

Thanks for the feedback...

I know my "drt" bullet could be better because its a safe fragmenation round. Shot placement isnt the problem because ive shot them in the heart and almost everywhere else. Funning thing is i have hunted big game with the same round and the game drops and drt.

Wondering what is the best .223 round would be for coyote...

I have friends that have tried other rounds and they have a lot of runners too. One time i had one run across a field with its intestines dragging out.

My coyotes are ranging from 42 to 52 lbs. But the weight or size of them doesnt make the difference on how far they run. Wish i could move up to 25.06 but my nightvision cant take the recoil.

Mr.B

Are you getting pass throughs or splashes or both ?

I've not shot truck loads of yotes like some here, but I've shot enough to know what works for me.
For the 223/223AI I like 52 MHP's, 60 gr VM, and 62 TSX. All have killed yotes like lightning with shots in the boiler.

On called yotes,lots are facing or quartering to shots, a bullet just above center will be lights out most everytime.

Originally Posted By: Mr Benelli One time i had one run across a field with its intestines dragging out.

I don't care what you shoot a coyote with. If you unzip one with a low shot in the belly, you normally have a runner.

My non runners out number my runners 9 to 1. (.223 rifle) Outside of the gut shots or other less than ideal shots, almost gotta be bullet choice.

I used to have some runners with well placed shot when I shot the 223. But since I've switched to the 22-250 55 gr and the 308 110 gr tap ammo, its pretty much bang flop. However the 308 110 gr tap ammo is a littl harsh on the pelt

I also had runners with 223 Black Hills HP & Barnes tsx 50 or 55 gr. Moved to a 22.250 after not finding one & will not look back. shoot-they flop down & don't move. 50gr vmax superformance varmint loads.

This is my results as well...

Quoute...I'm on the otherside ,the better side 2% runners 98% bang flop, +/- a couple %.

It doesn't matter if I shoot my 204, 223, 22-250, or 243... it's usually always a bang flop with V-MAX BULLETS.

I would say bullet issues also. 50g TNTs out of my .223s usually causes them to die in place with some spinning. Seems that a hit anywhere in the torso pretty much anchors them.

60 gr. V-Max... you're welcome.
smile.gif

Ive had lots of runners,with 223 55gr v-max,NBT,&sp.Some i shoot some others shot.95% were head on or broadside under 100yds.
They would go down and get back up,lol

I have since been carrying 243 with 75 v-max,havent shot any yet to see what happens.

Ive also had runner with 12ga 3in 4 buck,at 30yrd shoot.Dog rolled and flipped 2 times,then got up and ran into corn field,and never found it.

Now i shoot till they stay down,lol
They are some tough critters.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: beaglerIt all depends what you hit them with and where.

Mostly where.
smile.gif

Uh huh! I agree, seems like runners are shot too far back behind the shoulder. Study the Coyotes anatomy to determine the best spot.

It's a given for best results ya gotta hit 'em behind the front shoulder, not the back shoulder!
smile.gif

I'm in the 98% DRT crowd. I don't hunt for fur so I do use .30 calibers more often than not. I use BT's, TSX, TTSX, and AMAX. Definitely too much gun, but I'm on my properties do to a job, and I wanna get it done with authority.

I hunt with a .22-250 using 55 gr GameKings and I'm 100% with that set up too. As soon as I'm out of them, I got a case of 55 gr VMAX I'm gonna switch to.

In .223 I used to use the 55 gr tsx usually with pass thrus but the shots are always 200 or less. I started using the 55 gr VMAX and all the coyotes I have shot with it rolled over right there.

Like others said, the right bullet in the right place is what it boils down too. I agree they seem to be able to take more damage than other game animals I hunt. The coyotes here are large.

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people don't realize the vitals are a little further forward than a deer and they tend to shoot back further thinking their shot was good to go. I never had a heart shot animal run very far with a bullet or arrow, but that's only my experience.

It is too bad we can't post graphic photos. The results speak for themselves, and would educate some guys.

Back