ordered my first cooper...need help with scope options.

SuPaScOpE

Ordered my first Cooper. I ordered a 20VT varmint extreme, fluted barrel, 1-12twist, AAA+ claro. Wanted a ground hog/PD/target rifle...and I read so many good things about the 20VT. My wait they told me would be around 9-14 months. I'm already looking at scope options cause I can't wait...but idk what brand to get or power range I need. Leupold, nightforce, vortex, swarovski etc. Just want the best scope...don't want to cut any Corners n go cheap. Help? Lol

Superseal is right on. A hunting client of mine shoots quite a few NF and he said his new VX-6 3-18X is clearer than his NF's. I think I'm going to do a 2-12X VX-6 on my new calling rifle. You're gonna love your Cooper!

Break out the "Tar and Feathers"....But I wouldn't put a NF on a Cooper. JMO, but the NF is just to big and heavy to put on a Cooper. And, the Cooper, being a small rifle, it won't look right. A good Weaver or maybe a Loopy or Sightron will serve the purpose and look right on the rifle. JMO, I had a few Coopers and a NF doesn't look right...to me!

Welcome and nice first post.

I'd put a NF on my 17HMR Cooper if someone was buying. Mines plenty heavy,so a heavy scope wouldn't hurt.

Depends on if you want to dial or not. NF rules in the turret dept. However a nice classy piece of wood needs a Swaro on it.
wink.gif

Mine only has a Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO. Wish it had turrets for those 200-300 yard sagerats.

Michigan tree rat...

My Cooper 20vt wears an older AV series 6-18 swarovski. I have a Z5 5x25 on another rifle and it's nice but probably too much scope for a 20VT. If you could find a Z3 in 3.5x18 with a BRX reticle you would have a peach for sure. The BR and BRX reticles are awesome for varmint and PD shooting.

As time goes on, I am discovering that it is pretty dang easy to decide on a gun. But buying a scope is darned near impossible for me. I just can't decide on anything.

Good luck on picking a scope and congrats on your new VT! 8)

I ordered a Cooper MTV in .204R in July 2012.Cooper finished and shipped the rifle last week. it should be at the dealer any day.
I bought a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40 LR from Leupold custom shop.I had them install an M1 knob on the elevation and the varmint hunter reticle.
I have three other Leupold scopes and this one is by far the clearest and brightest of the four.
I chose the Talley light weight scope mounts (low) part #730749.
It has been a long year waiting for this rifle. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

J-Rat

I am in the same situation as the OP. only my new rifle will be a (very special to me) AR and I want really good glass for it. I have begun with 3 scopes I may be interested in but still looking for others to consider. here are the first 3 possibilities.

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40
http://www.sportoptics.com/leupold-rifle-scope-66220.aspx

Swarovski Z3 4-12x50
http://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-z3-rifle-scope-4-12x50-brx-fine-reticle.aspx

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44
http://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-z5-rifle-scope-3-18x44-brx-fine-reticle.aspx

The Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 AO is an great easy option. Buy it with the fine reticle for $530-$575, then send it back to Leupold for a $90 CDS moa elevation dial. Add the Leupold Alumina flip up caps for $80. Done for under $750. Here's mine on a CZ 17Rem:

February282013028b_zpsda2a9761.jpg

The VX-3 4.5-10x40 would be great also if you prefer less magnification and better eye relief. Cheaper too.

I really appreciate the y'alls input. I know more about guns than scopes...I know all the top names...but idk who makes the best glass, durable, etc. I'm leaning towards a swarovski an leupold. Now what power scope do I need for a VT...cause I've read the VT can shoot out to 400yds n some forums say nothing over 250. N I don't want too much scope for it lol. Keep the input comin. BTW....nice cooper n CZ ^^^^

You can always add factory turrets to any Leupold scope. Takes about 3 weeks and only costs $90 for a CDS elevation dial- very functional if you choose to use it, also very low profile if you don't need it.
May292013085b_zps16f4b88c.jpg

Your VT should make 350 to 400 but they run out of steam pretty quick out there. Your magnification will depend on the target size and how middle-aged your eyes are--ask me how I know.
frown.gif
I like 20X top end (for varmints not predators) on my .204's. YMMV

Found the scope I'm getting. I'm getting Nightforce NSX compact 2.5x10x42...with talley tactical rings. May Change my mind on the rings...but man do they look sweet with the crossbones. N heard they are one of the best on the market.

Back