Wild dog hunting in Australia (Tom Varney)

kodiak61

Here is a neat video maybe some of you have not seen.

If you watch the entire video and think what you seen was interesting you can search out Tom Varney on the internet and catch some more good stuff.

The guy has put down his fair share and has some neat things to say.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing the video, I've seen a video or two on youtube before with him but that was pretty good. A man I would love to have put some time in with hunting with. To have been through as much as he has good and bad I can't really try to imagine some of the problems he's dealt with. Excellent post.

Tom Varney and I have become acquainted through correspondence over a period of time. I met him through an Australian friend whom I have hunted with, VicFox on the forums. I have not met Tom in person, but feel like I know him through our numerous letters and watching his videos. He also sent me a copy of his book, From Gutter to Glory. A wonderful book and worth checking out if you can get a copy. It's a story of Tom's remarkable life.

Tom has some great videos, mostly of fox calling. He does a remarkable job calling foxes with a fox whistle. I have tried unsuccessfully to help him get a start here in the US for his videos. I contacted Stony-Wolf and sent them a copy of one of the fox videos, but they rejected it. I guess the market is so saturated with hunting videos that it's hard to get a start, plus the fact that the hunting is in Australia and not the US.

Tom sent me master copies of his videos with permission to distribute them here in the US. Problem is, finding the right source for market.

If anyone has suggestions, I would be anxious to hear. I would love to see Tom's videos get a start here.

I think Terry and the MOJO crew need to book some flights and get down there for some cull action. I'm sure Byron could be convinced to tag along.

I would be on of the new generation dog hunters mentioned here in Aus.
Toms Videos got me started on the dogs over here, he has been one of the most helpful contacts in the businness. Since contacting him I have learned to call the dogs in also, a purely chilling feeling to call in a pack.
I can't imagine how many people contact him for advice yet he seems to make time for everybody. I never get the feeling he is not interested or to busy to help out when ever I have called him.

Good thought Displayed Name. As Chuck's little boy says "I'm on like a chicken bone" whatever that means ? Anyone know how to contact Tony or maybe Aussie Howler can help me. If we can find someone to help us over there, we will do it.

Aussie Howler was that your video last year shooting 3 or 4 wild dogs with a .222Rem? If so will you link it into this post. That was some nice shootin.

Back