--Marlin 1894 Manufacture Date?--

blopez50

Can any of you Marlin gurus figure this out for me?

I'm trying to find the manufacture date on my 1894S. I looked over on the marlin forums and found this page:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin...-1952-75-a.html

On that page, I found this:

"1894S: 1984-2000 41 Magnum (1,040), 44 Magnum
"S" added to designate Cross Bolt Safety."

Mine does have a cross bolt safety so it's gotta fall in this range somewhere. SO I did a little more reading and found that they say to subtract the first two numbers of the serial number from 2000 and that'll give you the date. Well my serial # is 17xxxxxx.

That puts it at 1983. but the link above said that the 1894S wasn't made until 1984.....

What gives??

Yes your gun was made in 1983, I have always known that 1982 had NO cross-bolt safety, and 1983 did start the cross-bolt safety. I have a 444S that starts with 24, so it is a 1976 model with no cross-bolt safety.
I don't currently have a 1894 Marlin YET, but I have had my eye open for a 1894 in 357Mag for some time now. I went to an auction a couple months ago and they had a 1980 mint 1894 in 357Mag go for $725, the Blue book value was $350 in 100% condition, I was ready to go $100 over blue book value, and it went past $450 in the blink of an eye.
Good luck with your new toy, I will take a Marlin Lever Gun anyday over any other action gun. ----Riflemann

Thanks for the help!

I've had this one for quite some time but like you, have been searching for a 357.... I can't believe how hard they are to find. It pains me to say this, but I might just cave in and order one of the new Remlins just because I want one so bad..

I think they make the absolute best truck gun that someone in my neck of the woods could have. I keep it loaded with home-rolled snake shot in the chamber and 7 240 JHPs behind it. I love that I can have ONE gun that will handle roadside snakes all the way to 100yd deer.

The 1894C is an awesome lever gun! Do yourself a favor and hold out for one with the JM stamping on the barrel. You will not regret waiting it out. The .357Mag lever gun is just plain fun!
grin.gif

Plus one on the JM mark. Do your self a favor and pay extra if you have to.
There's a web site I use to go to oldguns.net or .com i'm not sure, but on the left side of the screen they had a manufacture date link.

Last edited:
Back