Help with a AR and 50gr hornady vmax shoot way low at 300????

Just go shoot your gun figure out your drops and then shoot some more. Its not rocket science. Ballistic calculators will get you close but targets dont lie. 14clicks should get you close.

Dad got me one of these.

Rite in Rain book

Best little tool I have ever had. I like to keep notes on all the guns and loads I shoot, how much the calc says I should drop. How much I actually drop. Weather conditions. Results from working up loads from various guns.

Heck Ive even got some 900 yard dope in there from shooting the .45-70 5-6 years ago. It wont be the same the next time I go out but it sure does help me as a shooter. IMHO.

I have the same basic setup on my Bushmaster but I shoot hornady vmax 55 grain. I'm zeroed at 100 yards and 1.5 inches high at 200 haven't got to shoot at 300 yet but I imagine its around 2 to 3 inches low? At 200 I'm shooting right around 2.5 moa. Out of a carbine I'm happy with that.

So im now 2.75 at 100yds 2.25 at 200yds and 11 or more at 300yds. I cant get a good group at 300yds so for now ill pass on a 300yds shot on a groundhog if i have to ill let it fly on a coyote. Thx for the help

It's amazing how reality defies internet bullchit aint it!!!

All bullets start dropping (from line of barrel) as soon as they leave the barrel. Gravity works the same no matter what the projectile (round BB or high BC 50 cal). That means they will drop (vertical over time) at dam near the same rate (the difference will not be practically noticable). Don't confuse high BC as dropping less, that only means it slows down less which results in the bullet making it further in that same amount of time. It still drops (veritically), relitivley the same in any give time span.

A few hundred fps here or there changes things very little (in hunting aspect) out to 300 yards. Save yourself a lot of worry. Pretty much all normal chamberings will be 1-2" high at 100 yards when sighted in dead on at 200. Then they will be 7-12 inches low at 300 yards (that's just the way things work; there is no magic in reality). Average those numbers out to inch high at 100 & 10 inches low at 300 & it will serve you well if you'r not sure what the paticular gun in your hand is doing. You'll never be off more than 3" vertically (using those estimates out to 300)& that's inside a groundhog with any rifle you got. Judging dope out to 300 yards is simple. When you get past 300 is when it gets a little more tricky...

My best advice is if you want to shoot 300 yards, junk the red dot & get a decent 3-9x40 with a stadia reticle. At the very least something with x-hairs & little magnification.

BTW, there is no such thing as being sighted in dead on at 100 & 200 yards. The differnce in height is only a couple inches & your gun may not be shooting good enough to tell. However, in reality, if shooting a 50gr vmax anywhere around 3200; to make zero at 100 & 200, you scope would have to be mounted at ~4.5 inches higher than your bore. It only works then because the arch matches up due to the extreme angle of the scope/bore. Even if this was usable (it's not) you would still be right at 7" low at 300 yards (see above comments
grin.gif
).

Your doing good. Finding out your gun actually shoots lower at 300 yards than you think, puts you WAY ahead of many shooters, hunters, snipers & mall ninjas that give advice on the internet!!!!

BTW, hlepfull hint to the math part:

Take the MOA correction from your calculator. Multiply that by 1.047, then multiply that by the yardage/100 (3 for 300 yards 3.5 for 350 yards, 7.75 for 775 yards etc). That will give you the correction in inches.

Back