DSCI0006.jpg

.243ai
Trued
Bedded
BDL
Mcm Classic
Mike Rock, SS, 1/8", 24"
Talley's lows
I sold this rig due to the "mcm classic." I couldn't get use to the grip.
new040.jpg

I know this is probably an ignorant question...but here it goes. I understand the importance of a quality stock, and having a quality bed job, my question is what makes the mcmillin stocks so far superior to other? For instance, compared to the HS and B&C aluminum bedded stocks? I put an HS on my 700 and it was night and day difference. Now the HS is around $300 i believe, and the MCM i have seen are upwards of $700. I can imagine they are better, but what makes them "that" much better?

Originally Posted By: Smokin250I know this is probably an ignorant question...but here it goes. I understand the importance of a quality stock, and having a quality bed job, my question is what makes the mcmillin stocks so far superior to other? For instance, compared to the HS and B&C aluminum bedded stocks? I put an HS on my 700 and it was night and day difference. Now the HS is around $300 i believe, and the MCM i have seen are upwards of $700. I can imagine they are better, but what makes them "that" much better?
there are others that rank right in the realm of McMillan... Manners, and KMW are my favorite over a McMillan any day (Terry actually upgrades a lot of McMillan's with his hardware), I paid 1150 for my KMW's and T5-A's, and didn't hesitate... what makes them that much better, first things first, quality... Like you said, a quality bed job is important, what may be quality to you may be junk to others or viceversa... or preferably a simpler route, while some choose the Rem 700, others choose a Surgeon, while some choose, while some choose the F-150 XLT, others choose the RAPTOR or Lariat... the availability of options, upgrades, and in many cases, superior components is what you pay for.

I can understand the brand loyalty, and obviously the quality increase. But, how much of an increase is there? My assumption in my head would be that where the extra money spent of all of these rifles starts to shine is the further out you shoot? My almost factor 700 shoots .5 MOA....at 100 yds...I have yet to get out much further then that to shoot groups. But i can only imagine that after 100 yds is where everything starts to really show, as far as quality parts.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250I can understand the brand loyalty, and obviously the quality increase. But, how much of an increase is there?
you get enough increase that many people will fork over the $$$ to make a purchase, among those are the nations top shooters, and hunters... brand loyalty, maybe some, but many simply use what they think is superior... don't get me wrong, your factory or cheaper BC or HS will do fine, but for the extra funds I'll take what fits me best, and that's what I use.

Carbon Fiber is another factor that divides the haves from the have nots. The Carbon Fiber stock that Mel Forbes designed for Kimber is one of the big factors in why I own Kimber Montana's. Take the price of a bedded carbon fiber McMillan stock and subtract it from the cost of a Kimber Montana and things start looking a bit different. Now add the cost of a Bell Carlson or HS synthetic stock to a Kimber after subtracting the carbon fiber cost and now your down there close to a Remchester.
So ya, there is a difference in those stocks in my opinion.

My 260 just finished
It's a remmy 700 ADL
Was a 3006. Figued the long action would make nice for a 260.
24"AAC barrel 1-8 twist
Choate tactical have a timney to put into it tomorrow but wanted to finish it first with duracote.
Has a vortex viper WA 6.5-20/42.
1DCACDE8-A8AE-4040-A16F-15FF4E211D52-18263-000004EF82D3D1B9.jpg

Barel cleans very easy with the nitride finish but it has a very short throat. My loads are at 2.755 and touching lands with a 140 nosler custom comp. will do a range report tomorrow. Got a few remmy coreloks left from break in and a few loads of mine too

6x47 Lapua
Blueprinted SS 700 Short Action
SS 10 Flute Krieger MTU contour 24" 5R 7 1/2 Twist
Fluted Bolt and Bolt Knob
Mcmillan A5 Adjustable, Desert Camo
PT&G .250 pinned recoil lug
SS 700 BDL Bottom Metal
Jewell Trigger
YHM 7.62 Phantom
Murphys 20 MOA rail
Seekins 30mm Low Rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm NPR1, HS, ZS
Smithed by Codys Custom Rifles

1000yds Friday afternoon checking dope's for a new load I just worked up for it shooting 105gr VLD's

6.5x47 Lapua
Blueprinted 700 Short Action
SS Fluted Krieger #4 contour 24" 5R 8.5 Twist with PT&G Break
Fluted Bolt and Bolt Knob
Mcmillan Sporter, Olive, Tan and Black
PT&G .250 pinned recoil lug
700 BDL Bottom Metal
Jewell Trigger
Tally LW extra low's
Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm NP1
Smithed by Codys Custom Rifles

3.5-15x50mm NF for load work