17 Remington and fox hides

No problem RePete.

I would love to have a 17 hornet, but being left handed I would need to either go single shot break open or rebarrel my Browning Micro in 22 hornet (which ain't happening!). I like the idea of trying to load the 17 Rem down to HH velocities though. It would make for a fun summer project.

Originally Posted By: K22
Also, an 18 1/2" 17 Rem. barrel down loaded using either a 20gr. bullet or an open point 25gr. bullet to me would be great for a fur friendly Fox load. You really can't get much more than 3600fps out of my Model 7 Rem. in 17 Remington using a 25gr. bullet, so loading it down a bit should get you right into the 17AH velocities.
Now I'm thinking I should put my Model 7 in 17 Rem. in the classifieds and promote it as the perfect Fur Friendly Fox rifle.
w00t.gif

This is my hope. My model 7 is doing Berger 25gr Targets in the 3490fps range and Hornady HP'S just a little over 3500fps. Only shot one coyote, one coon, and a handful of groundhogs. All but one chuck and the coyote have had pinhole entrances with no exits. The one chuck was a glancing shoulder hit and opened up and the coyote had a caliber sized pass through on the first shot with no visible entry or exit on the following head shot. If it weren't for the bugeyes, I wouldn't have known it was a head shot.

Just get some Hornady 25 gr hps and load to a little less than max loads and you won't blow up a fox very easily. I shot one in the neck at 25 yards and didn't have to sew much. Shots out further will not wreck your fox in my experience. Lots of times you will not find an exit with those bullets on a fox. My buddy shot one and said fox he got didn't even bleed.I shot out my barrel at about 2000 rounds and sold the gun.
Try one and you will like it.

I have been shooting the 25 hp at about 3950-4000 fps at ground hogs and it wrecks them unless you place the shot just right. A shoulder shot blows a hole the size of my fist. Foxes are thinner skinned then ground hogs.

Back