Beware of Fur Buyer George Kortum (Western Montana Fur Buyers)

Mercer I appreciate the opinion but just because George is a big cat buyer doesn't mean he has any right to rip someone off. He spends a rich guys money to buy cats and therefore thinks he is something special because of it. Multiple people have been ripped off by George. It is also a slightly biased opinion you have of the sale as you know that Bob Small runs it. And we know you and Bob don't like each other since you compete with your cages. I agree the sale wasn't run perfect but it was their first go at it. The ATA doesn't do anything to help trappers and simply follows along with what the AZGFD proposes. There are going to be changes to the trapping here next year and what has the ATA done to help?

I don't have a slightly biased opinion of the sale. I fully believe that it was stupid to have a no commission fur sale. Don't matter who put it on.

If you read my post with clear eyes you will see that I clearly thought that some of the issues like the one that is the subject of this thread should be given a pass as it was the first year. Read the post.

The list of reasons I am not friends with Mr. Small does not include the sale of cage traps. I do not consider that company competition.

Read the post:
"As well as I know a few of them and like most of them I never do business with any of them outside the sale"
Please show me where I said it was acceptable to rip someone off?

If you are asking what the ATA has done to help then I would suspect you are not involved actively with the ATA?

I have heard for a nearly a year now a few guys from AZ going on and on about the changes to the regs. I started reading about it within days of the first announcement of "proposed" changes that were announced at the ATA convention from guys who weren't even there! The biggest waste of energy and pure gossip. All anyone wants to talk about is the couple of things they view as bad for them and nothing of the good changes. 2-3 of the guys running their mouths have pending violations and/or are currently revoked. One of them actually said at the Kingman sale that "the commissions collected at the ATA fur sale should be used to defend trappers in court from Fish and Game violations"

At least you have someone like Ron Day over there who truly cares and is trying to make changes that will help save you when the antis come for your traps like they are here. I would embrace the Fish and Game for wanting to work with you guys. The adversarial approach from a few of the AZ guys is senseless. Old school will get you nowhere.

ML

Last edited:
Mercer- Please elaborate on this statement.

Quote:2-3 of the guys running their mouths have pending violations and/or are currently revoked.

Who are these 2-3 guys?

Some interesting facts that you either don't know or choose to not share with the membership of this website about tghe Briarpatch Fur Sale.

The individual who organized and put on the Kingman Bobcat Sale made not a dime on the event. He did it as a service to AZ Trappers, who came out in number to support the effort. By not paying an 8% AZ commission (3% to the buyer and 5% to the seller) instead a flat $20 to get in the door, the trapper himself walked away with more of his hard earned money in his pocket. Now seeing that the organizer didn't make enough to buy a can of beer on the way home, one would think the trappers in California shouldn't expect any financial help from him for their current trapping problems. If you thought that, you would be wrong. He STILL wrote a check to the California Trappers Association to help in the fight to keep trapping alive in YOUR home state.

You are lucky you have a few other people with better personalities campaigning for the CTA then you do. Jeff Yancy and Mike Pappas to be exact. Because of THEM, I sent the CTA a check. Now I suggest you follow what another trapper told you on another trapping forum-

Quote:Well Mr. ML, maybe if you would keep a little bit lower of a profile and quit blowing your horn like you are God's gift to the bobcat trapping all this bull chit down there wouldn't have started to begin with.

Publicly posting a picture of 130+ bobcats on a barn for the anti-trappers to see is not only stupid but boarder-line idiotic. Between your trapping pictures and Tracy Truman's trapping videos on the web, you two knuckleheads will sink all trappers. Thank goodness you have a full-time job at the power plant and can't devote your life to trapping! Please never retire, all the trappers in the United States will collectively pay to keep you out of our business!

Mercer, private posting is for kids. Post your comments to me in the open.

Responding to me publicly without knowing my identity should not change your response in the least if you are speaking truthfully.

Careful to not drag people though the mud if you yourself don't want to have your dirty laundry aired publicly. You seem to make a habit of showing up and bad mouthing people and then get your panties in a wad if its done to you.

Back to the main topic of the post, George bought my cats this past season at the Globe, AZ sale. I was more than pleased with the result, nothing bad to say about Western Montana Fur Buyers. The more buyers that show up to a sale the better price it will be for the trapper.

Mercer is an egotistical fool, he is 100%responsible for the trapping ban in ca , due to his big mouth,, fu ml!!. From your perspective you should not be able to be involved with any trapping business..

Way to dig up the past! Judging from your statements you have issues. Saying he is 100% at fault of the CA ban is ridiculous just like your attitude. For the most part PM is a civil place where adults converse. Constructive criticism is welcomed but unsubstantiated claims and character assassination is not.

Back