"Scope Cam" Sage Rat Ground Squirrel 17 HMR

Nice videos.

Question please. What is that mounted on top of your CZ scope? Appears to be either a light or illuminator.

That has me wondering now, if the scope cam can be used for night vision shooting with the aid of an IR illuminator?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice videos.

Question please. What is that mounted on top of your CZ scope? Appears to be either a light or illuminator.

That has me wondering now, if the scope cam can be used for night vision shooting with the aid of an IR illuminator?

Yes, it's a Green laser flash light (torch in england).
It's green so the critters can't see it at night.
Then, If look at the video again, you can see that mount is a double picatinny rail and I put my pistol flash light on the side mount and I can turn that on with my thumb.

It's great for night hunting rabbits in Nevada.
Whacked a bunch of night rabbits this spring.

ND3 Style Green Laser Designator - Laser Genetics

Last edited:
Nice videos.

6mm06
If the scope cam would work with infrared at night and the use of an IR illuminator, it could really turn night vision around.

There is a UK company that is producting the Nite Site NS-200 that sells for about $900. It has an LCD screen that mounts on top of the rifle scope, which is similar to looking through the LCD of the video camera.

If a guy could use a very small, light-weight camera attached to the ocular of the day time rifle scope, and a camera that would see infrared at night, then that would be peachy keen, and cheaper too, a sort of poor-man's night vision.

I'm anxious to hear / see what others are doing pertaining to this subject.

Keep the information coming.

My camera does have a Nite Shot switch.
The illuminator will work.

I've never played with it to see how it all comes together.
But that should work.

Might be worth giving it a try to see how it far you can see and how clearly. Of course, you would need an illuminator of some sort. For a good one that's reasonably priced, the Eagle Tac T100C2 is really good for something like $70. Just thought I would mention that in case you want to give it a try. Illumination Gear.com sells them.

I think the camera itself and it's light-gathering ability will be the critical part. Not sure how far it might see with an illuminator.

Might be worth giving it a try to see how it far you can see and how clearly. Of course, you would need an illuminator of some sort. For a good one that's reasonably priced, the Eagle Tac T100C2 is really good for something like $70. Just thought I would mention that in case you want to give it a try. Illumination Gear.com sells them.

We can night hunt in Nevada, but it not legal here in Utah.
I've used the Green laser AND flash light out hunting before.
I've even put the camera on the scope and turned on the green laser flash light to see what that would look like.
I didn't think to turn on the nite shot switch to see if that would do any thing and it may not?
But I'll try it tonight. May need the IR style illuminator to make it work.
I'll try it and maybe record some footage.

Some footage would be great, kind-of give an idea of how it looks.

I'm thinking the green laser will be noticed by animals, ie coyotes specifically. Even the 850 nm IR illuminators can be seen somewhat and are not totally stealthy.

Would be interesting to see what the setup will do with an IR illuminator and the camera set to Night Shot.

Some footage would be great, kind-of give an idea of how it looks.

I'm thinking the green laser will be noticed by animals, ie coyotes specifically. Even the 850 nm IR illuminators can be seen somewhat and are not totally stealthy.

Would be interesting to see what the setup will do with an IR illuminator and the camera set to Night Shot.

I went out tonight to record some footage using the nite shot setting on my camera. But I was wrong. The button I thought turned on the IR mode, was a button to turn on a light when you need more light for low light recording. So that wont work.
But I know some cameras do have a night setting for IR.

Hey chuck. You mention Nevada allows night hunting. How long has that been the case? I've always thought the opposite.

Originally Posted By: teeshHey chuck. You mention Nevada allows night hunting. How long has that been the case? I've always thought the opposite.

There are 5 or 6 county that allow night hunting. Each have slightly different rules. Like in some counties, you can't shoot fox at night and the rule about how far you need to stay away from a building changes.
In the more populated counties, they want you farther from the buildings.

They also have strange rule about coyote hunting. You can shoot a coyote, but you can't put it in your truck. You need a fur bearers tag to transport any fur bearing critter.

The best way to do it is call Nevada fish and game. Each time I go, I call first.
From time to time they change the rules on you.
Like no fox hunting in Elko county this year.
The fish and game officers are out there making money on fines.........
Be safe and call first.

Back