Zeiss or Vortex?

steve154

I want to upgrade the scope on my main calling rig and have been looking hard at the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 and the Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50. I want some extra magnification capability for more versatility. This is a big investment for me and I might call on the scope for longer range work in the off season.

Most of my calling is at night. I have never looked through a Vortex. It looks like the reticle might be a little thin for night hunting. The reticle is lit, but I don't know how I will like it.

I am looking for feedback on both scopes for my use and maybe some suggestions on alternatives in their price range.

If you want good glass get the zeiss,the vortex has some nice features but the glass is not so great.The zeiss has a 1" tube so not as much internal travel.

An alternative is the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44. Great glass, 30mm tube, twilight lens system, and magnification covers it all.

Originally Posted By: crow sniperIf you want good glass get the zeiss,the vortex has some nice features but the glass is not so great.The zeiss has a 1" tube so not as much internal travel.

This pretty much covers what I was going to say. PST is a cool scope that has illumination, matching reticle/turrets, illuminated, and is available in FFP if that does anything for you. However, I have had a number of PST's and the glass is noticeably less clearer than the Zeiss in all but the PST 1-4 (which isn't what you are looking at here anyhow).

The VX-6 looks really good, but it is out of my price range by quite a bit.

I am also looking hard at the Conquest 3-12X56. Decisions, decisions...I have a while before I will have the money saved up anyways.

Thanks for the replies.

The Zeiss would be my choice as well. I only have one Conquest but it is superior to both my Vortex and Leupold scopes. If I were buying new glass for all of my varmint rifles then I would be perfectly happy putting a Conquest on every one of them.

Go Zeiss. Not sure what your budget is, but Zeiss does have their HD5 series. The 3-15 might fit the bill. I was kicking that or the 5-25 around for my next build. I decided I wanted illumination, so I'll be getting the 3-18 VX6. Otherwise, it would have been the Zeiss.

Check out sightron s3 lr moa reticle...100 min of windage and elevation..the 2 min substensions at any range exact tracking 6x24x50..30 mm tube..no zero stop no illum. Recticle...jus super clear glass and lifetime warranty..bout $850..lota scope fer the money....I think its the biggest sleeper scope out there..some people say glass on par or better than NF nxs....I don't know never looked thru a NF..

Originally Posted By: steve154The VX-6 looks really good, but it is out of my price range by quite a bit.

I am also looking hard at the Conquest 3-12X56. Decisions, decisions...I have a while before I will have the money saved up anyways.

Thanks for the replies.

The VX6 was out my price range too so I went with the New VX3 4.5-14, 30MM w/ CDS and it has the twilight system as well. It exceeds my eyesight, was at my feeder at predawn and could not see it so I looked through the scope and not only could I see the feeder but could see several doe and bucks standing there.

Originally Posted By: crow sniperIf you want good glass get the zeiss,the vortex has some nice features but the glass is not so great.The zeiss has a 1" tube so not as much internal travel.

I would put my Vortex Razor up against a Zeiss in that price range any time. I have 2 Viper PST on order and didn't think the Conquest was even in the same class.

Originally Posted By: roode301
I would put my Vortex Razor up against a Zeiss in that price range any time. I have 2 Viper PST on order and didn't think the Conquest was even in the same class.

Maybe the Razor (which Ziess glass in that $ range is GREAT too); but you will be very disappointed in the PST glass if you expect it to be as good. I know I was disapponted when I looked through the PST I have. PST has nice features but the glass is way lacking compared to the conquest or VX3. VERY noticable when changing between them.

Originally Posted By: roode301

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting the PST's to have glass like your Razor or a Conquest.

I have used 3 PST's and own a Viper HD and just recently picked up a Razor and I agree with the 2 posters above. Razor glass is awesome but the Viper HD/PST is not Zeiss or newer Leupold VX3 quality. To my eyes anyway.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: roode301

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting the PST's to have glass like your Razor or a Conquest.

I agree the pst is no way near a Razor but the wife would not let me get 2 of them and I have 2 rifles that need glass. So I got the PST's and there sure is alot of them being used at sniper matches.

Originally Posted By: roode301 I got the PST's and there sure is alot of them being used at sniper matches.

It all depends on what you’re looking for… The PST has several really neat features & offers good reticle for holdover & ranging. Most “sniper matches” are held during the middle of the day & shooting at an average of 2MOA steel (I know some are smaller, but some are bigger too) that’s generally easy to pick out. Ranging, holdover, &/or repeatable turrets are important in these matches.

Ziess & Leupold (Conquest & VX3) are built as varmint/hunting scopes. In the woods/afield, your shots are likely going to be in the first or last 30-45 minutes of light (usually at ranges before elevation compensation is needed). At these times, the game can blend into the background you REALLY want to know what you’re shooting at; so glass becomes pretty important.

Just because there are a “lot” of PST’s at the “sniper matches” doesn’t mean they are better scopes. The OP wants something for NIGHT calling. That to me means ranges inside 200 yards (not a lot of twisting knobs or holdover) & the need for low light capabilities (the best glass possible in his price range). I’m not saying the PST wouldn’t fit the bill & be a fine scope, just that the Ziess would be better (in this situation). If wanting to do some LR shooting “maybe”, opt for the Z-6 or Z-800 reticle.

I was not replying to the op. For the money that the op is talking about spending I would say do some looking and you can get some decent night vision. Not the best NV but should serve him well.

I ordered the Zeiss with hunting turrets and Z-plex reticle. If I ever want target turrets I can send it in and they will install for $50.00.

Thanks for all the info.

Back