shotshell crow loads?

22cat

anybody got any "great" crow loads they would be willing to share? talking about 60yrd crow blower uppers. I was thinking about some baby mag duplex loads of 4 or fives mixed with some 7 or 7.5 shot. [beeep] i have no experience with duplex loads. my crows around home are all crow shy and wise to decoys and electronic calls. they stay out there. cant use rifles on them around here ether
sneaky2.gif
thanks

Originally Posted By: 22catanybody got any "great" crow loads they would be willing to share? talking about 60yrd crow blower uppers. I was thinking about some baby mag duplex loads of 4 or fives mixed with some 7 or 7.5 shot. [beeep] i have no experience with duplex loads. my crows around home are all crow shy and wise to decoys and electronic calls. they stay out there. cant use rifles on them around here ether
sneaky2.gif
thanks

Most serious crow shooters use 9s and shoot them at 25yards... I can't get them in that close - I use 3" 12ga and 7-1/2s. It works pretty good.

I would not go larger than 6s, cuz crows are not very big after you take off the feathers.

7.5 shot is all you need. I usually use a 3&1/4 dram behind 1&1/8 oz 7.5's & kill crows very consistantly. I've used anything from BB's to 9 shot & the 7.5's with a light mod/modified choke work best for all around. I've even lucked up & killed a few ~60yards with the 7.5's on hail mary shots with the light loads.

If you were wanting the best, you could go 3&3/4 dram of 1& 1/4 oz 7.5 shot, 6's at the largest (although 4's can work well with a tight enough choke, your just giving up a lot). Most guys will kill MANY more with 8's & an IC than #4's & a full.

I don't hate crows enough to shoot a 3" shell at them. The cost, nor do I want to take the punishment that comes with it. We shoot an average of 70-80 shots a day of run & gun method (do that with a heavy 3" load). Learn how to get hide good (get in the thick stuff, stay out of the sun & don't be moving when they respond). If the place has been over called that bad find a new area (this is the best advice). It's nearly impossible to kill overcalled crows with a shotgun (I'm not talking 1 or 2, I want to knock down 10-20 per stand or it's not worth the effort). Also, I don't use decoys much at all either. Again an effort thing & they can also buger the crows(if you do use decoys flock them & amke SURE they are out of the sun).

Simply put; you will no kill crows consistantly @ 60 yards with a shotgun; no matter what your shooting at them (well maybe a punt gun). Put up a pie-plate at 60 yards & shoot it sitting still. I'd be willing to bet you'll get a small # of pellets on the plate (I'm talking single digits if your shooting large shot). Now imagine if that plate is much smaller, moving 40mph, & those few pellets that did hit the plate, are spaced out into a 7-8 ft shot string.

Even if you did find a true 60 yard load (& more importantly; could use it), one trip of that & they will learn quick to stay 80-100 yards away. Actually most "overcalled" crows will go the other way when you turn on the call (or just sit tight). I'd try getting hid better & find new spots. Even if your still end up calling the same area, make sure to go to a different spot on the property. They remember were sam, tommy, mark, lakisha, justin, jenny, karen, & tyron went down last time!
grin.gif

Our crows are pretty call savvy, too. I use the same load,
I load for pheasants, for crows. It is a #5 nickel plated
shot, 3" magnum load, with Hodgdon Longshot powder. The
actual load data should be on the Hodgdon site load data
section. One could use lighter loads, if one's crows are
less educated, or if one is lucky. I have had crows fly
over me when walking circles for grouse and woodcock. In
that case, they fold up pretty well with #7.5-#6 grouse
loads...But they are close overhead.

Squeeze

Win AA hull, Rem Club, 19.0g of 700x, Win wad, 1 1/8 oz of 6's for the longer shots, 7 1/2's for closer. This load patterns tight.

1 1/4 oz load, 25g of Unique, tight pattern.

Modified chokes in pecan orchards, extra full on calling in tall pines.

Super long range load, Rem 3" hull, 1 5/8 oz of copper plated #5's, BP Gas seal, BP 12 wad, two slits,
36.5g of Blue Dot. ON Windy days, use 1 3/8 oz load with 38.5g of Blue Dot. I would recommend gas operated auto's with these loads.

We use tighter chokes to make up for pattern density, spend time on sporting clays range. 40-60 yd shots are common.

Something that not many think of, Crows are flying in from distances from different directions. The louder the shells you shoot, the more crows you scare off...the 1 1/8 oz of 6's with 19g of Blue Dot is a quiet load and pattern density is impressive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman spend time on sporting clays range. 40-60 yd shots are common.

And what is the largest shot allowed on a sporting course (NSCA & range rules)? How about FITASC (generally longer shots than Sport & limited to 1 oz loads)?

I'm just saying... Targets still break & crows aint that tough either.

thanks everyone. around here everyone grows there on little gardens for there years supply of vegetables and everyone is loosing there corn that is sprouting out of the ground right now to the crows. so not all shots will be at flying crows. a lot of times everyone just steps out side and shoots the closest one to them. you hear a lot of stories of hundred yard shots with buckshot from the old timers but if they be true then they are obviously the lucky pellet phenomenon

I call and decoy a lot of crows,forget fast loads!! Use 7.5,8 or even 9 shot,mellow trap and skeet loads,it more important to hit them with a lot of tiny pellets,than fast moving stuff.
Your shoulder will thank you... I have dusted many a high flyer at 60 yards with a full choke and my twenty gauge!

Last edited:
Coleridge pretty much nailed it. I have used 5,6,7.5 and some 8's mostly 1 1/8 oz and am currently shooting a special run from Winchester of 1 1/4 oz 7 shot they made for White-wing doves and they work great. I too just run-and-gun and just try not to over call any one area.
I don't use any decoys and if I can kill 10-20 at one spot I am doing OK. I think the most I have gotten in one spot is 28. I use a LM choke for the most part.

I generally use any and all left over waterfowl loads from the previous season, anything from BB's to 4 shot

thanks everyone. im goin to get some stuff and go to the pattern board and see what i can come up with. i like the impact shock theory of the 8's and 9's.

Originally Posted By: venaticColeridge pretty much nailed it. I have used 5,6,7.5 and some 8's mostly 1 1/8 oz and am currently shooting a special run from Winchester of 1 1/4 oz 7 shot they made for White-wing doves and they work great. I too just run-and-gun and just try not to over call any one area.
I don't use any decoys and if I can kill 10-20 at one spot I am doing OK. I think the most I have gotten in one spot is 28. I use a LM choke for the most part.

Great minds think alike. I shoot Light Mod also.

I might give up a couple a day that are extended range, but I kill many more of the ones I "should" kill. To me that's MUCH better than slugging a tight pattern by the close ones. Crows make manuvers different than any game bird or clay target. Don't give up the easy ones.

Back