.22 magnum range?

Utahmountainman

I have a .22 mag. that I use for rabbit, I never thought about using it for predators till seeing a lot of you guys posting pics of cats and yotes with the .22 Mag.

What is the range for a coyote or fox? I'm guessing you need a head shot at any range?

Most of my experience with the 22mag falls inside of the 50yard mark. This is due mostly to the terrain here and not the limitations of the cartridge.

A few years ago I took 5 nuisance beavers out of a pond with the 22mag. Ranges were 75-100 yards. All beavers were shot with the cci 40g maxi mag and all only required one shot. I was very pleased with the performance. Considering these beavers were roughly in the 25-30# range. A good bit bigger than our red and gray fox and the same weight of some of the coyotes we get around here.

I'd say 125-150 is about the Max id take a fox sized critter and 75 or so on a coyote. Obviously these are basef on what I've experienced with the 22mag. YMMV

I don't think you'll see too many here actively hunting coyotes with a .22m but then again I don't think you'll find too many that will pass on a target of opportunity with one either. Myself, I've tried the .22m more than a couple times and never found it satisfactory. But being said, try it, use it, see if you like it, make up your own mind. Unless really really close I don't like head shots (too small a target) so stick with chest shots and Foxy's ranges are a good place to start.

Well placed at 50yrds or less, even a .22lr will do the job. I don't do it as much anymore, but I dropped a lot of dogs with a Marlin 60 and a Ruger Mark II in high school and college.

I also have used a Savage 93 and a marlin .22m and .17hmr. Not ideal, very limited range, but still effective.

We are limited to rimfire during open deer season here (shotgun area)so it's 22WMR for coyotes/fox. 40 grn JHP's will kill both with no problem as long as you shot placement is good. I killed a few this year out to the 100+ yard mark.

My best was with perfect conditions and 130 yards on a coyote. It took two steps and fell over. Never acted like it was even hit. So my answer is 100 yards with no worries.

I just got back from fishing. I always take my Marlin 925 with a cheap bushnell. Have had some trouble some beaver issues on the land. Nailed three from 100 yards on out to a little over 150 yards today. All headshots,not even a splash in the water.

A 40gr 22 Magnum has the same velocity and energy at 50 yards as a 40gr 223 Remington does at 450 yards. Yup. The numbers don't lie.

At 25 yards, the 22 Magnum has the same velocity and energy as a 223 Remington at 415 yards.

(Used factory advertised velocity on JBM ballistic calculator.)

The .22 magnum is one that is sometimes controversial, but much less so than the .17 HMR.

My predator hunting is limited with the .22 mag, so I'm no expert. But, I do have some experiences, though admittedly few. I'm kind-of thinking like Chris Brice does, that we generally don't grab a .22 mag to go predator hunting, but won't pass up a reasonable shot of opportunity either.

I know some guys are limited to rimfires, but that doesn't have to stop them from predator hunting. If a .22 long rifle was all I had or all I could legally hunt with, I would do it, and I would be successful. I would just have to be a little more cautious of taking shots. But then, we should do that anyway, even with centerfires.

I zero my .22 mag at 60 yards to hit center bull. I'm sure the cartridge is capable of over 100 yard kills, but I'm just personally not comfortable taking shots at those distances. Under 100 yards, more like 50-60 yards is where I feel satisfied with mine.

My limited experience with the .22 magnum has accounted for one coyote, one bobcat, one gray fox, and a few groundhogs.

The coyote was head-shot at roughly 75 yards, dropped like a ton of bricks. The bobcat was angling toward me at about the same distance. The bullet hit it in the chest area, and passed through the other side, dropping it on the spot. Both were shot with a 40 gr. Winchester Super-X Hollow Point.

The gray fox was robbing the neighbor of his chickens in broad daylight, and all I had was a 40 gr. FMJ. I shot it broadside. The fox ran a short distance, then walked around a bit, then fell over dead about the time I was preparing to squeeze off another round. I'm guessing distance to be 60-75 yards. It's been many years since, and I don't remember if the bullet exited or not, but I'm thinking it didn't. I do remember skinning it out and sold the pelt for $35, but I don't recall an exit.

Groundhogs are stocky and tough. They can take a lot of punishment and still get into a hole. I've shot them to pieces practically with a 22-250 and had some crawl into the hole. With the .22 mag, I and some friends have taken a few groundhogs. Most didn't make it into the den, but the cartridge doesn't always anchor them on the spot either.

A lot of guys say to not use head shots, I'm sure due to their own experiences. But for me, I have taken several animals over the years with head shots. I don't recall ever losing an animal to a head shot. If I feel I can put the bullet in the right spot, I don't hesitate. I have seen my Dad many times drop large barn-yard hogs with one well placed shot from a .22 long rifle.

The .17 HMR gets beat up pretty bad on these forums sometimes, and rightfully so under certain conditions where people try to use them for something they weren't designed for. But, speaking of head shots, a couple of years ago my son, some friends and I groundhog hunted the entire summer with rimfires only while working on a movie. We consistently dropped groundhogs on the spot with head shots from the .17 HMR, some at distances close to and over 100 yards. We shot a lot of groundhogs, and didn't lose a single one to a head shot with the HMR. We did lose one to a poor placed body shot, however. Just noting what works for me. My advice: If you are comfortable with head shots and know your rifle, go for it, but if not, then maybe don't do it.

Knowing your rifle's accuracy and trajectory means a lot. Practice is everything, and when the time comes to squeeze the trigger, you should reasonably know whether you should take the shot or not.

The .22 magnum has it's role like everything else. you just need to know what it will do and use it within that boundary.

100 and under is what im comfortable with, I actually prefer it over my 17HMR which my son has claimed as his. of course we only use rimfire for night hunting

A 100 yard shot with a 22 Mag has the same impact velocity/energy as a 490 yard shot from a 223 Rem (using a 40gr bullet).

The generally accepted wisdom is a 22 Mag will work ok out to 75-100 yards but try to keep it under 50 yards... But anyone suggesting using a light 223 bullet out to 450-500 yards will get laughed at. The overwhelming consensus here is the 223 only has an effective predator range of around 300 yards (which is several hundred fps faster than a 22 Mag at the muzzle).

It is the gun that is in my truck year round use it on coyotes during calving season and haying season.Keep shots to hundred yards or less and it will kill coyotes and woodchucks.

I'm with Riflemann. Same zero and my 77/22 mag loves the Hornady Vmax. I shoot mine suppressed. It is devastating on raccoons and other varmints. Great rimfire round. I shoot mine almost every day.

I bought a Marlin 783 back in the early 70's. I still have it and I've shot a lot of coyotes, Marmots, P'dogs, rabbits, squirrels, crows and even an extremely large catfish. Hardly ever over 100 yards and mostly around 50 yards. My favorite gun for truck carry.

223Pete, My 22 Mag is a Marlin 882SSV, heavy barrel that my wife and son bought for me as a X-mas gift about 10 years ago. Nice gun, but I should use it more than I do, seems like I grab the AR when going for a drive out of town.

Back