fleshing tools, what do you use?

Rotty

What fleshing tools do you use and where to buy them from?
need to quit borrowing my buddies and get my own : )

I got mine from F&T post and use the single blade 12" fleshing knife. The necker is really nice, but I don't do more than 30-40 per year and don't see the need for a $60 knife when the $20 one does great..
I also only use that mostly for the body on some of the yotes. Most of them don't have the layers of fat that need fleshing.
I also use the Victornox pairing knives ($5 each) mostly since for coyotes, if you skin them right, you don't have to flesh them very much, and shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes. The big thing is a fleshing beam that is comfortable, a washing tub, and a set of brushes to use. Them metal rake type of brush before you skin, and then again after washing and then a normal hair brush as it's drying.

Here is a link to some video's that i did, because this comes up every once in a while.

One of the things that i found that when i started skinning, it took longer than it should.
Practice is the cure for it.
Then I was fleshing and once i met with the buyer, from this site, i walked throught the pelts with them after the sale, and said OK, what can i do better..
They took a few minutes and really helped me understand what I was doing right and wrong.

It was a great lesson, and i found out that i was spending way to much time fleshing and doing things that were not neccessary, and by definition a waste of time and money.

For those of you that want to make a few bucks and learn another skill, and don't want to just leave them laying, skin a few, and take them to the buyer and ask what you did right and wrong.
I personally started doing it, since i shoot a fair number of coyotes, but wanted to learn on coyotes, so that i was ready when i got a bobcat. Since they are big money and not something i want to mess up. I also learned that by the end of the year, i sold 30 coyotes, and they may not be big money, but it adds up.

Back