.243 win vs. 6mm Rem

coyotewannabe

Which would you pick for yotes, fox, whatever, and deer. I reload and will never buy fact ammo, also practicality isn't an issue. Already have 223,22-250,25-06. Also heard good things about sierra 85 hpbt any else. I'll be using 4064, or Varget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif for powder.

Which is better the 300 win mag or the 308 Norma mag? The 223 or the 222 magnum?

Both of these six millimeters do so close to exactly the same thing it's a moot point. Brass is more available for the 243 and more guns are being built for it also.

At any range you'll be using either one no animal will be able to tell the difference.

Bottom line which do you want? They both will work well and I for one can't tell any difference in performance at working ranges.

I like the 55 grain Noslers at 3950-3980 fps for coyotes and the 95 grain Barnes for deer.

You can generally push the 6mm a little faster, but realistically, I would find the gun that I wanted and buy either one. I have both and prefer the 6mm.

The 6mm is generally considered to be a little superior if you reload.

It IS capable of a (very) slightly better velocity as it has just a little larger case volume, though I don't load mine to max anyway, but the biggest advantage IMHO is that the 6mm has a little longer neck, and the brass seems to last through more reloads.

The .243 is much easier to find factory ammo for if you don't reload or are caught out without ammo.

Other than that they might as well be twins.

The 6MM is a little better if you reload with heavier bullet weights. The .243 is a little more efficient with the lighter bullets. The .243 is much easier to find brass for.

Last edited:
The .243 will ALWAYS have cases available for it because of its' being a part of the .308 (military cartridge) family. Also, let's say that down the road, you decided to sell or trade your rifle, will you be selling/trading your dwindling in popularity (or already obscure) 6mm OR will you be doing same with your ubiquitous .243---a cartridge your prospective buyer KNOWS he can get factory ammo for!
I've owned both. They are pretty much ballistic twins---not identical twins though, the 6mm does have a very slight edge.
I'd go with the .243 for the reasons given in the first paragraph.-- Mike

The advantages/disadvantages boil down to wheather or not you reload. If you do then advantage to 6mm, if you don't advantage 243. Other than that it depends on what you like.
I like the 6mm, a cousin likes the 243. We each have 2 of the one we like. At the same time if he ever decides to sell that Remington 600 and I can come up with the money, I will learn to live with the caliber (that has to be one of the best deer rifles ever designed).

Originally Posted By: coyotewannabeWhich would you pick for yotes, fox, whatever, and deer. I reload and will never buy fact ammo, also practicality isn't an issue. Already have 223,22-250,25-06. Also heard good things about sierra 85 hpbt any else. I'll be using 4064, or Varget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif for powder.

I picked up a remington 788 in 243 and love it

I say .243 all the way as everyone else has stated 6mm slightly faster. In the 55 grainers they are almost identical according to the nosler book depending on powder choice the .243 is sometimes a few fps faster. In the 105 grainers according to the Berger manual the 6mm is less than 100fps faster. But as stated before brass availability is what makes my choice. If you can't find any 6mm brass then you're s*** out of luck. If you can't find .243 brass you can always make some out of .260, 7mm-08 or 308 brass so that makes it a clear winner in my book. And if I add 100fps to my 243 on the "Shooter" app on my phone, shooting 105 grain berger VLD's adding 100 fps at 700 yards there is only 7.5" of drop difference and 1.5" difference in wind drift. So if you have enough brass then go 6mm if not then definitely go 243!! Hope this helped some!!!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Nothin like digging up a dinosaur thread....

Hahahahaha!!
lol.gif

But to be true, 6MM because it's bads$$!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210 But as stated before brass availability is what makes my choice. If you can't find any 6mm brass then you're s*** out of luck. If you can't find .243 brass you can always make some out of .260, 7mm-08 or 308 brass so that makes it a clear winner in my book.

6mm Rem brass can be easily made with a 257 Roberts, 7x57 or 8x57.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43You can also make 6mm brass from the 30-06 class of cartridges.

You can make everything, including Cheeseburgers, "... from the 30-06 class of cartridges."

This thread again. Good grief. If you want a 243 to be a 6mm, then Improve it. Then you can seat your bullets to the lands and still fit the mag.

Originally Posted By: coyote_reaper454fan, do you suppose the op is still on the fence about 243 or 6mm 6 YEARS after he originally asked?

Yeah... some guys take a while to make up their minds
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Blackhawk43You can also make 6mm brass from the 30-06 class of cartridges.

You can make everything, including Cheeseburgers, "... from the 30-06 class of cartridges."

I laughed so hard I have a headache now!

Chupa

Originally Posted By: coyote_reaper454fan, do you suppose the op is still on the fence about 243 or 6mm 6 YEARS after he originally asked?

WOW did not see that!!! I guess that's what I get for not paying attention!!!

Back