Howa 1500 Extractor Problem

psdan000

I recently purchased a Howa 1500 Varmint in .223 with the 20" heavy barrel and hogue stock. I had a chance to shoot it finally and the rifle shoots and looks great. Ever since the first few shots, it had problems extracting spent cases. It will pull them out of the chamber but will not "throw" them out. Does not have a problem with live cases for some reason. It progressively got worse so I sent it in to one of Howa's repair centers to be looked at. Anyone had any issues with Howa's extractor? Is this a common problem? thanks for the help.

psdan000, The one I own, my son's and a friends seem to throw the casing very well. All three are heavy barrel varminters in .233. They are all very accurate. I catch myself pulling the bolt back slowly so it doesn't throw the casing so dang far. I hope you get it fixed. Oh I had a Savage mod 12 that would most of the time pull them out and leave the case on the follower. Traded it before I figured out what the problem was. Good luck

I know it's an older topic but one that I found in a recent search for an issue I was having. I too have a new Howa 1500 in .223. Great gun but I've tried three different (Factory) ammo; different loads different cases different grain etc. and probably 50% of the time the cases get stuck and don't extract. I emailed Legacy and then called at their request and they are going to look at my bolt to see if they can determine the problem. When I was on the phone with the rep I noticed what appears to be a chip out of the corner of the extractor. I would suggest looking at your extractor and seeing if there is anything suspect looking; if mine broke (may have been broke prior to purchase) yours could too; after all mine only has 100-150 rds through it so I never thought that a broken extractor would be the issue but I think it is.

He prolly has it fixed by now. The thread is from 2011. But as to your subject, I just replaced mine on Sunday. The extractor may look like a chip is missing, but it is longer on one side than the other. Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted By: hangumhi Great gun but I've tried three different (Factory) ammo; different loads different cases different grain etc. and probably 50% of the time the cases get stuck and don't extract.

So what is the cure for this problem?

Doggin, mine was pretty worn, it would Not eject occasionally but only on a fired case. Before I installed the new extractor, you could feel play in it. After replacing it was almost non existant. I tried it on some loaded rounds and they extracted well. I will try it this weekend and see if its cured, and will eject fired rounds properly as well.

Back