Red Dot MOA size?

WhoCares

I'm wanting to add a red dot sight to my AR in addition to my scope. I will only be using the red dot for shots from 0 to 50 yards or so max. Basically I need to know if a bigger MOA dot, say 8 moa, would be better for these close fast action shots. I am concerned with being able to pick up the dot in a hurry for an unexpected, right on top of me kind of shot.

So if I'm thinking right the 8 moa dot covers 4 inches at 50 yards and 2 inches at 25 yards. Seems like that should be about right for fast target acquisition of close up fast moving targets. The other choice would be 3moa which I'm concerned about not being able to pick up visually in a hurry.

Let's hear your experiences

Small here too. I have several Red Dot type scopes. Some even have crosshairs and such. Most seem to be 4 or 5 MOA on mine.
My Redfield ESD has a dot, cross hair, circle dot and circle cross hair.

My Vortex SPARC has a 2 MOA dot and it is fine on my shotgun. I adjust the brightness for the situation and get on target fast. It's the one and only red dot I've ever used so I have no comparison to a big dot which might be better.

4 would be the largest I would go. Even with diminishing eyes, that would still be picked up easily, and would definitely be capable of hitting on target out to 200 yards.

I only have red dots on my shotguns. I have an Aimpoint 9000SC red dot on both my Mossberg 835 and Benelli SBE 2. I use them for turkey hunting and predator hunting (both calling and running hounds). The Aimpoints have a 4 MOA dot. They work great.

I recently purchased a Burris Fastfire II for my 7 year old daughter's new 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug. It was offered with a 3 MOA dot and an * MOA dot. I chose the 8 MOA. I have to say for turkey hunting I was a little afraid the 8 might be too large. But after trying it out I had no issues with it. Was no where near as large as I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Back