An eater and a wallhanger

AlexanderWaller

So I did a bit of hunting over the weekend and, in my opinion, I did pretty well! Sunday evening I was making a couple of coyote stands. Called in nothing but a doe. As I'm leaving my third stand, I spot a group of hogs through my binos at approximately 600 yards. Well I made my way to within 80 yards. Crawled in-between two bushes and picked out the left most hog. I could not see a lot of it due to the cover it was weaving in and out of, it looked like a sow to me. There was a group of 6 more 20 yards to its right, 5 piglets and one pregnant sow (I don't shoot pregnant pigs out of personal preference). The hog was quartering a bit away from me. Shot entered just above and behind the elbow and exited low in front of the front shoulder. That one dropped right there, the others ran off. Shot with a marlin .243 using 100gr Winchester powerpoint. Both lungs were mashed up and the veins and arteries just above the heart had a hole in em. Weighed bout 200lb. It turned out to be a barr hog. He had no gristle plate and the meat smelled good. Can't wait to grill it up.

Next morning I walked around abit with my brother and a friend. My friend missed a large hog at 125 yards of a primos tripod. I think he just got a bit nervous. When we went over to check for blood we busted 3 little ones out of the brush. My brother hit one at 35 yards in the shoulder with 12gauge 3 1/2" 00 buck. DRT. It weighed about 30 pounds. Did not take a picture of that one.
Kept moving until 10:00 am. Sat for a while and shot one squirrel and called in and killed 2 crows, all with #6 shot from the same 12gauge. When it got too hot we went back to the cabin, ate turkey sandwiches and slept until 5:00pm. I decided to sit in a tree stand for a while. First hour and a half I watched a fat old coon just mill around. Then a sow came in, about 300 pounds I would say, heavily pregnant. Just behind her I could hear another hog grunting and clacking its teeth. He walked up behind the sow and I shot him. Bullet entered just under his left eye and exited between his right and left ear. Same type of bullet as the last one. He dropped right there, kicked once. The sow ran off. 10 minutes later 3 coons walk up under the stand an I shot the biggest of em. Quite an awkward shot. The hog must have been about 250lb and I needed the truck to pull him out. Had to get down in a ditch so I could roll him onto the tailgate. He had some half decent cutters on him. My friend said that the hog was approximately 10 years old, I trust his judgment but its a little hard to believe. His teeth were rotted pretty bad, hair was very short, gristle plate about 2 inches thick at biggest point, covered in scars.
I did not realize my hat was backwards until I got back. Don't think me a hoodlum now!

This picture really shows off his cutters.

Thanks for taking the time to look and read!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice boar.

Quote:I don't shoot pregnant pigs out of personal preference

I respect yor preference, but that would be the first one I'd shoot since I do everything I can to reduce their numbers. Those babies will be breeding in 6 months.

I see where your coming from, and if I was hunting to exterminate that too would be my first choice. The owner of the property likes to have a stable if not growing population of hogs.

Ugly creatures!!! LOL!! Nice shooting! Sounds like a real hunting mecca ya got there!

Excuse my ignorance, but what it a "barr hog"??

Originally Posted By: Mike BExcuse my ignorance, but what it a "barr hog"??

Southern slang for a Boar Hog that's been castrated...

After a hogs been cut, his meat will be good later on and they will get bigger faster. Instead of thinking about mating and fighting, all they think about is eating. That's why some people make boar hogs barr hogs.

Back