hunting grey fox in daylight

mountain luke

whats the best tactic to hunt grey fox in the daylight. we have good population of them, but they are hard to call even at night. they come to about 100 yards and move from spot to spot but dont come closer. we set up in open fields with caller 50 yds away from tree line. hard to get them to come in open.

We hunt them during the day with good success. Anytime they hang up on us we use a canine puppy in distress C-00. If using a FOXPRO use Eastern Cottontail L-57, Platinum Grey Fox Pup C-85, and Steeltown Grey Fox Pup C-86. If using another brand caller grey fox distress and a cottontail distress.

Hope that helps

nice vids. We use the same calls during the night. I will try the canine distress to pull them in closer. Have you used the scream-n-grey sound from fox pro, we have best luck with that sound.

Nice videos A.P. You guys really got into them.

A couple of seasons ago, Dave Garrett from Australia (Vicfox) and I were able to make a trip to Arizona, near the Show Low area where we tried to call some fox. We only had one day for fox hunting and didn't score, but the Ponderosa Pine area looked really good for calling. It was a real experience hunting out there, definitely different from back east.

Thanks for posting the videos.

I have had much better luck in the brush with a shotgun during the day. I think grey fox like to have something they can climb close because of other larger predators. I have been unable to get them to come very far into the open during the day. Carl L.

I have my best luck with Bay Bee Cottentail L54, it seems like they cannot resist. I also use some sort of pup in distress sound for when they hang up, which is not often for greys in my area. Try late evenings and early mornings also...

Originally Posted By: WvYotehunter65Scream-n-grey works great
+1
My #1 grey fox sound. However I only get them to respond at night here in the northeast.

Back