55 grain blitzkings or gamekings for groundhogs?

motown

So yesterday i got out for only the second time this year for whistlepigs and despite 20-30 mph gust had a good day. I shot a total of 5 hogs anywhere from 20 yards to 200 with only 2 misses but both where 300 yards shots and with 20mph winds i was not suprised. Out of the 5 hogs 2 of them either ran or crawled back into there hole which leads me to my question.

I am shooting a 700 vls 223 and 55 grain sierra gameking BT sptizers. It seems anytime i hit bone they where quite explosive but the thing that bothers me is the 2 that got away. I am sure they will die in there holes but i am about quick clean kills and thats why i am wondering if the expolsiveness of the blitzkings maybe better suited for groundhogs compared to the spitzer. I am sure the spitzer would be great for coyotes as to where it would leave minimal hide damage with great penetration but for hogs i am starting to lean more towards blitzkings. Does anybody have experience with both bullets? Any input would be appreciated.

I use blitzkings for thin skinned animals, for larger thicker hides use the gamekings. Last coyote I shot with my 223, 3400fps at about 50 yards just behind the shoulder, no exit wound and entrance was a tiny hole. Shoulder hit, maybe lots more violent.

Gamekings are accurate but definitely a tougher jacketed bullet. I have shot a lot of the 40gr/50gr BlitzKings and they IMO would be ideal for what you are describing. I would assume the 55gr would be up to the task as well.

Blitzkings or V-Max is the way to go for the ghogs. Or anything in a 150gr or bigger in bigger claibers, love shooting ghogs with the 308 or 30-06. Yes a lot of over kill, and since the componet prices are sky high, i stick to my 223 for ghogs.

I just shot 5 ground-hogs myself yesterday/Memorial Day - with 55gr Sierra Blitzkings out of my 22-250. I love this bullet, and when I compared it against Sierra's other 55 (same speed) using AmmoGuide's ballistic calculator, the 55BK was flatter out to 500 yards.

I have also used Berger 52gr Target Match hollow points, which is another very accurate bullet out to say 300 yards anyway. (The 55BK probably has a higher BC, and boat tail design whereas the Berger is a flat base bullet - but won't matter to 300yds.)

Stephen

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am going to keep the Gamekings for Coyotes and was actually able to find Blitzkings in stock so i ordered 500.

Ghogs are a tough animal to kill DRT! If I shoot hem with my 30-06 deer load, I expect half to head back for the hole even though there is a 1 inch or so hole straight through them. The BK's will make 'em deader quicker.

The 55g blitz kings are the most explosive. You did not mention your load.

For max muzzle velocity with your bolt gun, see if you can find some Vit N-135 powder used in conjunction with a thick cup primer, you will be on the heels of 3500 fps with your rifle.

Send me a pm if you need more info, this is not a auto loader load.

Back