Shotgunning yotes

john007

Curious if any of you guys who use shotguns , use the sights that came with the gun. No after market sights or scopes. If so how do you do with em ?

What is the max range and what shot do you use..

I've shot a number of coyotes with a plain jane Browning BPS and a Mossberg 500. I had a red dot on the Mossberg for a brief time, but decided I like the standard two-bead configuration better.

I use the regular bead sights on my rem. 870 and they work great.I supose a lighted dot would be nice at night,never used a shotgun at night.I am going to put a fiber optic on front sight.I use #2 and BB lead, 35 yards is as far as i shoot.any farther and I use the rifle.I wont pay for heavy shot but I am loading up some 4 buck to pattern at 40-50 yd.Read the thread above on shotgun patterning,It will tell you about all you will ever need to know on that subject.

IMO You should see how/where the gun patterns first.If it shoots well without sights then a scope would just be a matter of personal preference.If it's throwing the loads a ways off but patterns well then I would scope it.

Fiber optic bead... all you need unless there is something wrong with your shooting form or your rig doesn't pattern to point of aim.

Originally Posted By: john007What shot size DR ?

John, both of those guns do pretty well with #4 buck and 00 buck. I tend to limit my shotgun shots to less than 40 yards or so (often less in the desert brush), so I'm not overly concerned about the brand. All the factory loads I've tried have produced dense enough patterns at those ranges to kill a coyote without much difficulty. I use a full choke in both guns with two 3" #4 buck followed by two 3" 00 buck.

I'm currently using a Tru Glo fiber optic set up that has two green rear beads and one red front bead. It makes it somewhat like open sights which settles a rifle guy like me. As to shot, four buck and heavier than lead both. The position of the coyote and its frame of mind seem to have more to do with the lethality of the hit than the pellets themselves. As I said, I'm a rifle guy so take it for what its worth.

Back