New Savage .17 Hornet ...FAIL!

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Reminds me of My Remmi SPS .243 that I traded away. The new owner now lives with the quirks. Feeding problems are the most trouble. I still think that a rifle sould function properly from the get go. Good luck.

Please,,, just because you had feeding problems (which is more than rare with a 700), lets not compare it to a M25.
Won't argue that a rifle should function as designed from the jump though.

BTW,,, there's an "h" in should.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI bought one savage and that will be the last

I have a Mod 93 BRJ In 17 HMR. that's likely the last Injun Head rifle I will own. It works well enough, but leaves much to be desired aside from simple function.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Reminds me of My Remmi SPS .243 that I traded away. The new owner now lives with the quirks. Feeding problems are the most trouble. I still think that a rifle sould function properly from the get go. Good luck.

Please,,, just because you had feeding problems (which is more than rare with a 700), lets not compare it to a M25.
Won't argue that a rifle should function as designed from the jump though.

BTW,,, there's an "h" in should.
wink.gif

About the only place you can truly compare the two rifles is in the resale value. They're not even relatively close on that issue.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Malfunction is Malfunction, regardless of Brand.
wink.gif

IIRC, and if someone wanted to look back on your Remington experience chronicled here, you bought it expecting to have problems, and surprise of surprises, you did. Even though it ("the most trouble" as you describe it) was an issue that Mr. RePete accurately stated is almost non-existent with the 700 action. (place triple wink emoticon here) Apparently some people can accurately predict their own rain clouds.

And before you eagerly label me a Remington lover or whatever for saying what I just did, they are just one of quite a few makes in my gun safes, and they are far from being predominant.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Malfunction is Malfunction, regardless of Brand.
wink.gif

IIRC, and if someone wanted to look back on your Remington experience chronicled here, you bought it expecting to have problems, and surprise of surprises, you did. Even though it ("the most trouble" as you describe it) was an issue that Mr. RePete accurately stated is almost non-existent with the 700 action. (place triple wink emoticon here) Apparently some people can accurately predict their own rain clouds.

Funny,,, another member and I were just discussing that very fact this morning.
Not so funny, is that it was also chronicled on at least one other site (that I'm aware of).

Oh,, and for the record,,, it's "Remington Groupie".

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

wink.gif

Funny,,, another member and I were just discussing that very fact this morning.
Not so funny, is that it was also chronicled on at least one other site (that I'm aware of).

Oh,, and for the record,,, it's "Remington Groupie".

Thanks, Mr. RePete.
grin.gif
I see from another recent topic that "Remington Groupie" is the correct terminology.
thumbup.gif

I got a 25 WV Synthetic in .17HH for Christmas. Took it out for the first time yesterday. Shot one box of ammo.

Very accurate. 10 rounds touching at 100yds.

I'm having the same issues everyone else is - bolt hard to lift, hard to bring back, 30% of the shells won't fully come out of the chamber or have to be poured out of the action.

I think I will hold on to this for now as the accuracy is so good. Maybe a fix will be announced...

Finally got my replaced ammo back from Hornady, after waiting nearly 6 weeks. Out to the range I went, even though it was 111 F in the shade. It started out holding around 1.5-2" @ 100 yards but by the end of the first box, it was printing 4 shots 0.25" ( basically one hole) and 6 shots at 0.5". I am very pleased with the rifle now. well, back out to the range for me. It is going to hit 100 before 1030 so I'd better get crackin!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: erikc838Finally got my replaced ammo back from Hornady, after waiting nearly 6 weeks. Out to the range I went, even though it was 111 F in the shade. It started out holding around 1.5-2" @ 100 yards but by the end of the first box, it was printing 4 shots 0.25" ( basically one hole) and 6 shots at 0.5". I am very pleased with the rifle now. well, back out to the range for me. It is going to hit 100 before 1030 so I'd better get crackin!

My savage shoot that good also, On a P-Dog hunt this week I shot over 100 rounds of replacement ammo with NOT ONE blackend primer I just love this little gun Thanks Hornady for standing up on the ammo thing.

Joe

Originally Posted By: callcrazyazOriginally Posted By: erikc838Finally got my replaced ammo back from Hornady, after waiting nearly 6 weeks. Out to the range I went, even though it was 111 F in the shade. It started out holding around 1.5-2" @ 100 yards but by the end of the first box, it was printing 4 shots 0.25" ( basically one hole) and 6 shots at 0.5". I am very pleased with the rifle now. well, back out to the range for me. It is going to hit 100 before 1030 so I'd better get crackin!

My savage shoot that good also, On a P-Dog hunt this week I shot over 100 rounds of replacement ammo with NOT ONE blackend primer I just love this little gun Thanks Hornady for standing up on the ammo thing.

Joe

I shot 50rds and was a little hesitant at first, since the temp was 111 F in the shade, but I did not have any problems.

I had a savage 17hmr,I dont think I will ever buy a lowend savage ever again. 10,11,12 are all very nice and the price reflects it. Those I would recommend and or purchase

Back