duck/goose calls for coyotes???

cdasempefi

I was wondering if anyone had ever used duck or goose calls to call in coyotes. The other day I was set up on the edge of a field using rabbit distress calls when a coyote showed up about 200yds out and totally ignored me and started across the field towards some geese that were getting ready for the night and honking a lot. I howled at him and got him to stop for a shot but I would of liked to call him in. I was going to try some goose sounds and see if I can get some to come to me because a lot of the fields around here are starting to get birds in them. Any suggestions on calls or sounds I should try?

Well, I goose hunt a lot, often in fields where there is lots of coyote sign, and I've never called in a coyote while I was trying to work birds. 'Course I'm looking up, but as much as I've done it I would think I would have called one in if it's likely.

I think you'd have a lot better luck with a turkey call or a woodpecker (the best).

Daybreak

About 10 years ago my brother bought a drake and 3 hen mallards at the co. fair, he called them his prize winnin ducks. He lived on the very edge of a really small town here in Nebraska and kept his prize ducks in a "not so secure" pen behind the house. He called me one winter morning and told me that a coyote had come in and got his prize winnin drake over night,,, took it out in a hay field about 20 yds and ate every thing but the beak and some feathers. The next night all three hens were gone. You could follow the tracks right back into the field,,same deal.About 3 nights later in the light of a near full moon at about 1:00 AM I used a duck call,, made it sound distressed and called in a coyote within about 10 minutes. They were worthless that year so I hung it on my brothers front gate so he could take out his revenge on it if need be.
So,,,, yep,,, I done that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

i have called in coyotes using goose calls in fact i hung up my howler and rabbit calls one day and only used my goose call i called in three dogs and only killed one and man did i shoot the guy alot before he died. but honestly it works but i would not rely on it as your only call. the three i called in i am comfident they were wise and in a transit state from one pond to the next looking for a opertunity.

I do alot of goose and duck hunting in mid Central Nebraska between Kearney and Lexington with a goose spread of over 200 shells, I have only seen a yote come within maybe 300 yards of my spread and thats with 3 guys calling and pretty well covered up in pit blinds, so my suggestion is turkey distress...the ducks arnt so solid

I have called in coyotes with goose call and killed. Setup around ponds is what I did. Don't do all the time, just a change of pace.
Regards.

I had a red fox come at my duck call as I was doing an evening hunt in a barley stubble in northern Sweden last november. It was very focused on the sound but unfortunately it was smart enough to check the wind at 70 yards...

Last fall, in another county I hunt. One of the farmers who's land I hunt on. Told me 3-goose hunters called in a yote with their calls. They gave him a "lube-job" with all 3-shotguns. The yote was hunting field-mice in an adjoining field. Hmmmm, guess he shoulda stay'd with mousing.

Thanks guys its kind of what I figured. Its one of those if nothing else has been working try something totally different. Being such opportunists I don't know why they wouldn't come after some geese but its one of those right place at the right time kinda things. Oh well I'll toss this in my bag of backup tricks that might work when things get tough like using my turkey calls.

I have never called in yotes with a goose call, but this year I had 50 or so geese come into a rabit distress call. Well atleast they flew over the bluff I was sitting on.

if you want to call coyotes with a duck call, pull the reed end out and use it as an open reed call... works well and will give you a whole new array of sounds...

Believe it or not, I am a duck call maker, and like to compete in duck calling contests. I am not being facetious, but I have never heard of a distress signal in a duck call. At least not for puddle ducks.

The hen does most of the quacking and the drake has a very different sound when he speaks (sic). The drake call would be the only call I know of that is a distress call, though it is not a very loud call, but then I guess it doesn't have to be.

Would some of you guys be kind enough to coach me on a puddle duck distress call? It might come in handy when I'm hunting ducks

www.geocities.com/dmcalls/index.html

Not sure about a duck or goose distress call except maybe drawing it out and more raspy kind of like you turn a deer call into a deer distress. I was also wondering what kind if any noise newly hatched ducks and geese might make. It shouldn't be to long before they start laying eggs.

The fox I mentioned came pretty focused on just a regular duck routine with some feeding chuckle and some quacks. I think he was set on providing the distress himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Funny you mentioned the duck call... I haven't tried it yet, but I did pull the tube off the end of a pig squealer and am getting ready to try it for yotes! It's definitely a raspy distress sound!

New sounds might actually be a good edge in areas that get called a lot. At least, I'm hoping that anyway!

Randy

Thanx for the answer cdasempefi.

I think a distress call for ducks might not lure them in though.

I seem to recall a time when I hunted with a friend on the Rio Grande just south of Albuquerque, and he tried his drake call. He put about 500 ducks in the air at once, so maybe he did it inadvertantly.

Next duck season rolls around I will give it a try to see what happens

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif if ya'll knew anything about playing an open reed call, and gave it a try you'd see what I was talking about... maybe then we wouldn't have to look at all these dumb@$$ duck distress call posts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I remembered this post and had to get back tonight. I went out earlier tonight to see if the creeks had opened enough for taking a beaver (only just about!). I also brought a goose call to practice on the canada geese that are starting to come and spend the night where the creek runs into the Baltic.

Being kind of sceptical to my beaver setup I started calling geese instead. (Foiles Migrators Strait Meat Grinder.) Then I spotted a fox over half a mile away on the ice. Kept goose calling and five minutes later the fox came around a clump of grass 200 yards away. He was totally focused on my position and didn't stop until he was 25 yards away, when he caught a bullet. I wasn't going to shoot him as the season is over but at that range it was pretty obvious that he had the mange and should be killed.

This is a spot I no doubt overcalled this winter and although it has plenty of fox I didn't call in anything on the last few stands with my different open reed calls. I even saw a fox a few hundred yards away completely ignore a Crit'R Call just a few weeks ago! But obviously the goose call was a fresh enough sound. The fox in my judgement did not have enough mange to be completely out of his mind.

Back