Any 223/556 showing up on the shelves yet?

Same for here, we never did really run out of everything, did have to wait for about a week in Feb. for a shipment of Benchmark. Just bought 600 60gr V-Max's at Scheels today for $18.50 a box.

Prolly why we can't get any boolits here in Arizona. And Poor me, I am down to my last 3000 rounds of loaded .223.

Quote:Just one of many examples-----Fiocchi Rifle Ammunition 223HVB50, 223 Remington, Hornady V-Max Polymer Tip, 40 GR, 3650 fps, 50 Rd/bx
Price: $48.95

That same 50 round box of Fiocchi ammo was running under 30 bucks in the good old days. The good old days being about 120 days ago!

They had a bunch of that at my local shop a week or so ago for $30 a box. I didn't buy any because I don't like hunting with the 40 grain stuff, and have enough of what I do hunt with. I am just stockig up on what I do shoot when I can get it, not stuff I don't like just because it is all they have.

If everyone would just calm down and let it pile up on the shelves again, the price would come back down on a lot of this stuff. There are enough stores holding the old price that pretty much everyone has to, or they aren't going to compete; they can't remain competitive in the market, over time, if they don't.

I thought the panic was over.... BUT.... My boss owns a small store, she bought 2,000 rounds of Tula .223 a few years ago for dirt cheap. She stuck them behind the counter and sort of forgot about them. I found them the other day and mentioned that she should get these things out because they would sell quick.

They sat front and center in the store for about 1 day. A guy came in and bought it all for $9 per 20... FOR TULA! She called me salesman of the year and gave me a nice dinner. But she did about die when I told her what it would have sold for a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerYou realize 5.56 and .223 are the same thing don't you? Just differnt brands and bullets.

I have a. 223 and I called the manufacturer to ask about shooting 5.56 ammo and was told not to. My AR is a 5.56 and I can shoot both with it.

There is a very slight difference in the specs between the two and while it's not advisable to shoot 5.56x45 in a .223 Rem chamber, it has been done by many with no real negative results...It does present slightly higher pressure curves that can be problematic...That's why shooting .223 Rem in a 5.56 chamber is not a problem...

I was at Shooters World in Peoria, AZ last night and they had a pretty good stock of ammo. HPR 223 Vmax in 40, 50, and 55 grain @ $39.99 for a box of 50. They also had a good supply of 45 acp and 9mm. There were a dozen or so ARs on the wall at pre hysteria prices too. It was actually encouraging to see stocked shelves again and there were a lot of people shooting in their indoor range.

Starting to see some 223/556 around... finally. Now where the heck is all the rimfire ammo. My kids burn through it fast this time of year. Can anyone explain the shortage of rimfire?

There is no shortage of rimfire. There are lots of trailer houses full of rimfire ammo that will be available as soon as you guys quit buying it on gunbroker for 75 a brick. Every gun show we set up at there is always a guy with a table stacked high with 22 ammo for 75 a brick that he has been buying at walmarts for 25. He is just more persistant than most of you looking for it. He tells us so.

There is more rimfire being produced now than there ever has been.

I pick it up from time to time at one of the 5 walmarts in my area and have 1000 to 2000 rounds at home all the time. If you want it you have to be looking for it all the time and be there before the gunbroker hoarders.
smile.gif

Bass Pro had stacks of 556 and 9mm ammo on the shelves and was selling 22 ammo at 2 boxes per person. Everytime I go in there they have some.

Yellowhammer said:
You realize 5.56 and .223 are the same thing don't you? Just differnt brands and bullets. [/quote

No they are not the same and can be bad. A 556 will shoot 223 as well but you should not shoot 556 from a 223.

Originally Posted By: icemulitia
Yellowhammer said:
You realize 5.56 and .223 are the same thing don't you? Just differnt brands and bullets. [/quote

No they are not the same and can be bad. A 556 will shoot 223 as well but you should not shoot 556 from a 223.

Sorry, that's horse puckey. Why do you think they are different?

Chupa

Now that you have had sufficient time to peruse the Google and see there are in fact two different pressure values and saw that they do not share the same unit of measurement, allow an explanation. The two cartridges are measured by different entities using two different methods and from different locations, hence the two values. They are the same.

Chupa

Not here to argue but been at work sounds like you worked the Google machine [beeep], good work! I'm just trying to save someone the hassle. Good chat

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: icemulitiaChamber pressure

And what is the chamber pressures?

Chupa

Guess it depends on what you read where and what you want to believe. You want some pressures, Here They Are

223 - 55,000 psi
5.56 - 60,000 psi

223 Here at 55,000 psi

5.56 Here at 62,000 psi

I am sure that manufactures and reloading manuals issue warnings for a reason. Some will believe it, some wont. I have no reason to doubt them. If you do, you probably dont believe the max loads either.

The way I see it is they issue a warning for a reason. I personally wouldnt ignore any warnings on ammo or reloading. Each person will make their own choice though. After all, if someone posted on the internet they are the same, they wouldnt lie.

I would like to know how many of the people that claim they are the same have actually tested the pressures. I bet less than .1%. Everyone is going by what they read the same as those that believe they are different. There is a reason they are named different calibers and have the warnings.

Back