700 VLS accuracy is amazing!

motown

So i recently picked up a Rem 700 VLS 223. This rifle was used but barely. It had an accuracy package done to it by Bobby Hart in Nesopeck PA which included lapping the lugs and bore, bedding the stock and re-crowning the barrel. I threw a 4-16 monarch on her and took it out to the range the other day and WOW what a shooter!! I first tried some factory fiocchi 40 & 50 grain vmax which gave me ok results. I then tried some handloads i have worked up go with another rifle of mine and couldnt believe the results. Behind 26.9 grains of varget with lapua brass and 55 grain sierra gamekings this rifle produced a 3 shot group of .331 at 100 yards and a .339 at 200 yards! I am throughly impressed and cannot wait to see what it can do with the 6-24 elite i am about to mount on it.

I have one in a 22-250 and with 50 Zmax and my thoughts were the same it is a shooter for sure almost boring at 100 yards. My biggest complaint was weight so I fluted the barrel and bolt which helped a bunch love the rifle!

Man are savages ugly.I love my remington 700's they are all shooters.Remington does make some cheap ugly junk though in some of thier other rifles.

I really like the 700 action, and I have grown fairly fond of the Howa 1500 action, it's not as smooth as the 700 but it would hold up through a nuclear bomb, those actions are built and they didn't spare any steel.

Originally Posted By: Dogman223I have one in a 22-250 and with 50 Zmax and my thoughts were the same it is a shooter for sure almost boring at 100 yards. My biggest complaint was weight so I fluted the barrel and bolt which helped a bunch love the rifle!

I may have to check into have the bolt and barrel fluted.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI really like the 700 action, and I have grown fairly fond of the Howa 1500 action, it's not as smooth as the 700 but it would hold up through a nuclear bomb, those actions are built and they didn't spare any steel.

All in agreement, other than my new Howa actions always seem to be more smooth than my new Remington actions.

Either way, they work!

I did have 1 Remington "stinker" in a 700VS configuration. .223 with a 20" barrel. Shot well, didn't shoot great. It's a .17FB now, so no worries.

And whether or not you like them, Savages shoot too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI really like the 700 action, and I have grown fairly fond of the Howa 1500 action, it's not as smooth as the 700 but it would hold up through a nuclear bomb, those actions are built and they didn't spare any steel.

All in agreement, other than my new Howa actions always seem to be more smooth than my new Remington actions.

Either way, they work!

I did have 1 Remington "stinker" in a 700VS configuration. .223 with a 20" barrel. Shot well, didn't shoot great. It's a .17FB now, so no worries.

And whether or not you like them, Savages shoot too.
wink.gif

I'd bet that there is more than one stinker in there too!
wink.gif

Some how ALL Savages shoot well, and only some Remingtons are worth while.... Not buying it..... And no need to own a Savage either. IMO.

I don't clip coupons.
grin.gif

My only question is that when i shot the groups at 100 yards i was about 1/4 inch to the left. When i shot the group at 200 yards my group then moved 3/4 inch to the right. I know its not a huge deal of 1 inch but does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The wind that day was not a factor as it was a dead still day with no wind at all.

Originally Posted By: motownMy only question is that when i shot the groups at 100 yards i was about 1/4 inch to the left. When i shot the group at 200 yards my group then moved 3/4 inch to the right. I know its not a huge deal of 1 inch but does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The wind that day was not a factor as it was a dead still day with no wind at all.

Most likely, cant (or the moon shifted in it's orbit
lol.gif
)

I own both rem700vls in 308 and a Savage in 223 cant complain about both

the 308 shoots clover leafs at 200 and the savage shoots groups I can cover with the end of the 308 brass at 100 and their both stock

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: motownMy only question is that when i shot the groups at 100 yards i was about 1/4 inch to the left. When i shot the group at 200 yards my group then moved 3/4 inch to the right. I know its not a huge deal of 1 inch but does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The wind that day was not a factor as it was a dead still day with no wind at all.

Most likely, cant (or the moon shifted in it's orbit
lol.gif
)

I also thought a slight cant as well but when i shot 55 grain ballistic tips they where right in line with center at 100 & 200 yards. When i switched to the gamekings is when i got the shift.

I have a VLS in 223 and 22-250 and both were good for me right out of the box, would like to have work done to them but feel no need to right now, shooting 55 grainers out of both.

Back