6x284 vs 243

nightwatchman

i have the chance to have my .243 encore barrel rechambered to a 6x284 for 75 dollars. i have a few friends with this caliber in bolt action custom guns and they are extremely accurate and flat shooting.a definite upgrade from the .243. my question is about the encore barrel. im wondering if the barrel can stand up to the abuse of a faster shooting bullet and having it rechambered. has anyone had one done and what was your outcome. i hate to spend the money on the barrel and then be out a 250 dollar barrel after just a couple hundred rounds. ive never had a gun rechambered before so im sort of clueless on this subject.

The rechamber is not likely to be more accurate. It's not easy to correct an accuracy problem with just running a larger hole into it and following the old chamber.

As far as the velocity goes the Sierra #5 has both cartridges. Using the 70 gr bullet as a comparison and fudging for the 4" difference in barrel lengths I would estimate 100 fps more for the larger cartridge.

Look at it this way: If your rifle is accurate now the rechamber may make it worse. If it's not accurate now the rechamber will not help.

A comparison of heavier bullets should show a greater spread for the larger case but you have a SS so it must be for varmint loads?

You would do better to have your Encore chambered to the 243 Ack. this would give you the same vel as the 6mm-284 with less powder and better barrel life. As far as the Encore holding up, the Encore will run with just about anything out there, they are very strong.

It's a $75 encore barrel. It will do fine. If you don't care for it, sell it on ebay..!!! That's a great price for an encore barrel...

I say buy it...!!!

Quote:
You would do better to have your Encore chambered to the 243 Ack. this would give you the same vel as the 6mm-284 with less powder and better barrel life. As far as the Encore holding up, the Encore will run with just about anything out there, they are very strong.

As far as I can see a single break gun like the TC's cannot be rechambered to an AI. You can't set the barrel threads back.

Quote:
Quote:

As far as I can see a single break gun like the TC's cannot be rechambered to an AI. You can't set the barrel threads back.

Savage_99,
Is the AI chamber shorter than the standard? Said another way, is the shoulder set back on the AI making it mandatory for the barrel to be set back? Just curious as to why the AI reamer couldn't be run in using the existing chamber?
Thanks,
Don

i didnt get the barrel for $75 i can have it rechambered for that. as far as the 243 shooting. i sighted it in last weekend with 58 grain hornadys and could cover 4 shots with a nickel with no problem. i was very impressed. that was at 100 yards. having it chambered for the 284 doesnt bother me as much as whether or not it would still be as accurate as it is now.

If you're getting those results, I wouldn't mess with it, even if it could be re-chambered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Night watch men I shoot a 6x284 bolt action.You havn't given enough info. How long is your Barrel? What is the rate of rifling? That's very important.6x284 is an extream Cartridge.High High pressure.plus when I fist got mine not knowing how to use it like it was ment to. i went shooting with a guy who had a sporter 243. He shot ten to 1 for every squirrl I shot.Mine did not blow up any better than his. If your's shoots nickle size groups well thats ok,Chambering it in a 6x284 those groups will increase in size,I think cause the caliber you want needs a lot of stability.I think I'd try that 243 AI.

I don't think the barrel has to be set back if you go with the RCBS version with the 28 degree shoulder. I wasn't thinking about it being a single shot when suggesting the Ack version. Without setting the barrel back with the Ack. It wouldn't be a properly chambered rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't fool around with that barrel.

A real so called "improved cartridge" will fire the parent factory cartridge and maintain good headspace for it.

You can't do that with a break open rifle that does not have barrel threads. Neither will the superior 28 degree RCBS design work any better without setting a barrel back.

The "headspace" on an improved chamber is minus .004"! Thats to get a crush fit on the factory round just at the junction of it's neck and shoulder.

Please leave it alone and save yourself some grief.

Back