Barnes tssx or hornady v max

seasley

What bullet would you prefer for coyotes between these two bullets? I don't care about saving pelts, but I would like to have that extra punch if needed during deer season also.

The vmax I was looking at 75 grain and the barnes looking at 80 grain. This will be for 243

I personaly wouldnt recommend the vmax for deer. I smacked a deer with an 80.gr tssx and its the hardest I have ever seen a deer hit other then with.my 30-06. Vmax is just too explosive. Tssx will get pass throughs all day long. Vmax stands too much of a chanch plashing on a sholder. Just my opinion

Thanks for the quick reply. I was leaning more toward the barnes but just really wanted to get a second opinion before I bought some

I shot a doe in the butt as she was facing straight away from me, the 85g triple shock broke the rear hip bone, broke a front shoulder and was lodged under the hide about to exit in the shoulder. This is not the kind of bullet you want to shoot on a coyote.
60g Sierra HP
68g Berger
75g V max
75g Sierra HP
70g Hornady Sp
70g Nosler
80g NOsler
80g Berger
80g Sierra Blitz BT(yea boy!)
80g Sierra Single shot pistol bullet

the above are all really fine coyote bullets, and IMR 4064 is a really fine powder in all these bullet weights with a fed 210 primer.

58g & 65g vmax for coyotes and the Barnes 80g tssx for antelope is what I settled on out here.
The 55g nosler & 58g vmax bullets will do the job on coyotes all day long also & to 700 yards w/ease in a .243, no need for a heavy coyote bullet.

Again, I can care less about pelt damage. This is to keep them under control and to keep them from killing my calves, so the more damage, the better as long as they are dead.

Just want to reload one bullet to cover both coyote and deer if needed, but mainly coyote

Last edited:
I've killed a doe with a 50 vmax in my 223. I wouldn't want to shoulder shoot them but if I had an open shot behind the shoulder or a neck shot. Appsolutely. The Barnes are expensive to use on coyotes if you ask me. They will do it but I'd watch for pass through and ricochet shots. Especially if you have cattle or equipment in the same area.

Don't know about deer BUT i shot 4 yotes with Barnes TSX in .223 & they all did the "spin" then 3 ran 25 to 70yds & one I could not find.

Got a 22.250 & killed 2 with 50 vmax & they dropped in their tracks.

Originally Posted By: jmeddyDon't know about deer BUT i shot 4 yotes with Barnes TSX in .223 & they all did the "spin" then 3 ran 25 to 70yds & one I could not find.

Got a 22.250 & killed 2 with 50 vmax & they dropped in their tracks.

You need better shot placement. It sure anit the bullets fault.

Barnes in 223 are quite good on fur. They are pricy though.

Originally Posted By: seasleyAgain, I can care less about pelt damage. This is to keep them under control and to keep them from killing my calves, so the more damage, the better as long as they are dead.
Just want to reload one bullet to cover both coyote and deer if needed, but mainly coyote

Of the 2 I'd go w/Barnes. I was thinking different loads for each & not 1 load for both.
Another idea is the 80g speer jsp or 85g sierra GKHP, both will the job on coyotes & deer w/1 loading.

For one bullet, I would use Barnes.

As a previous poster suggested, watch out for richochets and what's behind the target because you WILL get pass throughs.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.

As a previous poster suggested, watch out for richochets and what's behind the target because you WILL get pass throughs.

This is true. Reguardless of the bullet used,one should always know what's beyond the target.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.

This is true. Reguardless of the bullet used,one should always know what's beyond the target.

Folks always seem to forget the simplest of rules when it comes to firearm use on game. It doesn't matter what bullet you use, always blow what it is and what is beyond it.

If you want to kill'em grave yard dead. hit'em with that 87 grain vmax. Save that TTSX for deer season. If you just want to load one bullet, get yourself reguar soft point like a gameking or a partition.

Back